Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When should i put my boar in with the sow???  (Read 2750 times)

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
When should i put my boar in with the sow???
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »
When should i put my boar in with the sow??? :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
Thanks

conman

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: When should i put my boar in with the sow???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:52:05 pm »
complete novice here but ive been told as long as they farrow after there first b/day there fine

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »
THANKYOU IM A NOVISE TO WE GOT THE WRUNT AND A BOAR THANKYOU

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
No offence meant here folks, but if you're novices to pigs you should do a hell of a lot of learning and working with them before you even consider breeding them.
Dubie, I wouldn't advise breeding from the runt of the litter. Other's may disagree, but IMHO you want the very best of pigs to breed from, definately not the runt.
Sorry guys, this sounds soooo negative, pigs are great and I think everyone should keep them  ;D But you've got to learn to walk before you run and there's a big difference between raising some pork for the freezer and looking after a maiden gilt the first time she farrows.
Good luck with it though,
Karen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:54:54 am »
Hi Dubie
I agree with Karen. A female pig is not called a sow until she has is on her way to having a second litter.
A runt probably won't be strong enough or grown enough to cope with having a litter so as karen says i wouln't breed from one.
A young gilt in my opinion shouldn't go to the boar until she is about 10 months old, this allows her to have grown enough and be mature enough to cope with the birth.
If you already have a sow that has had piglets before she can go to the boar when she is in season (around every 3 wks).
Now as you're a novice i would hope you 've kept a couple of pigs and taken them to slaughter and now you're looking to take the next step. There are some interesting articles on the GOS website in the Getting Started section which might help you.
HTH
mandy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »
Whatever sow or gilt (pref. sow if you are a novice) you choose, make sure it is one with whom you are completely in accord and who you can trust totally.  Its not easy trying to help an angry in pig sow, especially if in a confined area.  I speak from experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS