Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughter day - so tired now  (Read 4725 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Slaughter day - so tired now
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:33 pm »
Had the man in today to kill some lambs. It's been a tiring day but well worth while. Lambs have gone off for 2 weeks of hanging before coming back butchered. Skins are salted and will need doing each day for about a week before they are dry enough to pack and send for tanning. Loads of black pudding made and blood frozen for another lot later. paprikash of heats, tonges and liver made - from the River Cottage Cookbook. Had devilled kidney and last years's home made haggis for dinner. Lungs boiled, trimmed and frozen for the dog. Couldn't be bothered to make the pate and faggots that I turned out last year. That was a step too far and with the washing of stomachs for haggis casings I swore I'd never do it again!

As I say, busy and tiring day but I now have a glass of red wine and Ratcliffe and McKonie on Radio 2.

Life is good

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Slaughter day - so tired now
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »
:sheep: :sheep: :sheep:chin up you won't be complaining when you taste it :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:46:02 pm »
how many did you do?

sounds like hard work

think of a whole leg roasted....

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:02 am »
That sounds like a hard day :o

What I tend to do is bag up what I will need for making a haggis, and stick it in the freezer, then when I have more time I make one or two or in different sizes, and then freeze them whole til they are wanted.  Same with faggots when I have a couple of pigs.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »
can you tell me...does it make alot of difrence in the taste to hang the carcass for two weeks?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:20 pm »
Well it improves the flavour, but mainly it tenderizers the meat.

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:48 pm »
Andy it makes a huge difference to the meat from both flavour and tenderness. Hanging reduces trhe moisture content so that when you cook there is not lots of moisture excaping, this tends to make the meat tough. Believe me, hang for 2 weeks and you'll never have tasted better lamb

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »
even a week makes a huge difference, its worth it and it doesnt go all stinky and gamey, just beautiful and tender and not soggy. :sheep:

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 02:47:05 pm »
My butcher won't hang for more than one week as he says it ruins good lamb, but it does depend on what breed, age etc.  He did me some older hoggetts this year and hung them for about a week and half. 

I am always impressed with people making their own haggis and salting the hides too! 

Lamb hotpot for tea tonight!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »
Just processed 11 lambs for the freezer today. We hung for six days and the meat looks and tastes bootiful. Just had some chilli /lamb burgers for supper.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »
We got back our 10 lambs from the abottoir on friday, 9 sold 1 for our freezer, we had a shoulder today marinaded in orange juice, treacle and mustard, fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But may I ask as its the first time we have done this, we had the liver and hearts seperate for our dogs, we recieved back, the ribs (rack) chops, 2 shoulders 2 legs, breast but we didnt get any neck? maybe I should have clarified what parts I would get back also we forgot about the tongues....  what do you guys get back?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »
Whenever I take anything to the abattoir I whitter on about them being organic so I get my own offal back.  I not they may just go and take one from the rack.  Its a dual edged sword,  if you make a fuss then your animals are left till last, which I don't like either.

I write instructions down on the bit you have to sign,  then give them the cutting list later, otherwise they loose it, or don't leave the meat to hang long enough. 

I suppose it depends on the abattoir, and if you have got a good, small one things will be different. 

Mostly they don't give you stuff back because most of their customers don't want it.  I always insist on the bones and fat too, the cauls from pigs for faggots and the heads when I can get them.  You can also ask for the sweetbreads, but make sure you ask for the throatbreads, otherwise....... :o

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS