Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1255 times)

Poppy625

• Joined May 2017
Hello all
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:13 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave: I've been looking at this site for a wee while now and found it so interesting and useful. My husband and I have a small Croft on the West coast of Scotland. We have 4 cows, 20 sheep, 6 (and counting) chickens and recently got our first couple of weeners which are doing really well. I'm hoping to get a few pure Suffolk sheep next year to produce good Rams for our local area. In general I just love animals and although it's hard work at times especially with our long rough winters I couldn't be happier (well maybe if the sun shone a bit more!!) Does anyone keep Embden geese as I always wanted some but wonder about their temperament?   :fc:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:18:46 am »
Hello Poppy. Just to say welcome to the forum.  I'm sure someone who can answer your question will come along shortly.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:04:18 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:
What kind of cattle do you keep? We have Shetlands :hugcow: :hugcow: :hugcow:

Poppy625

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:09:06 pm »
We have Aberdeen Angus X cows which seem to do well as they are hardy girls. We cross them with a neighbours Limousine Bull. We tried A.I for a couple of years but it was too unreliable. Our croft is beside the sea so is very open to the eliments. One of the crofts not far from us has a few Shetland cows. They seem to thrive here as well

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
One of the crofts not far from us has a few Shetland cows. They seem to thrive here as well
New herdsnow in Australia, Texas and Slovakia  ;D

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:06 pm »
Hello Poppy. Welcome to the forum
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:18:57 pm »
 :wave: Poppy and welcome to TAS forum.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »
We raised Embden geese for several years. We used to get them as two week old goslings and then raise them until Christmas. We spent a lot of time with them when they were very young so they got used to us. They were always very friendly with a good temperament and would follow us anywhere.

I know geese have a reputation for being aggressive but much of that is because they can be very noisy when they are excited. If you don't know them it can sound aggressive. The exception to this is a gander who is protecting a broody goose. They can do a lot of hissing if you get too close to the nest. The best thing to do is leave well alone and they usually calm down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS