Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Often to Breed?  (Read 1631 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
How Often to Breed?
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »
My ANxBS (born 2015) kidded in 2017 and is milking through - once a day milking and producing about 1.5kg. I was going to put her to the billy this Autumn as I thought this was the done thing (to kid at least every second year) but having kids in spring will be a challenge to manage as I’ve just had a baby.

My other goat (AN) is same age and kidded 2017 and 2018 so will definitely have a year off.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: How Often to Breed?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »

I would think it would be better to have a goat mated every two years, but it is not essential. You may just have a few issues when you try and get her mated, but not necessarily so. I would have thought that with one milking you will have enough milk for the house and you will be busy with a baby.  Have you got someone else who can milk if you are not able? Also your own health may take some time to recover ( for example after C-section), so if you don't have anyone covering it may be wise to dry both off for next spring and see how it goes.

I wasn't able to do anything even slightly strenuous esp after baby No 2 (both mine were C-section) for a few months...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:01:20 am »
I've recently retired one of my dairy goats that had milked through for 4 years no problem. Her yield dropped each winter then picked up again as soon as someone else kidded / lambed.
Her daughter last kidded 2015 as is stll milking fine so I'm not kidding her again yet either, the other older one I'll keep milking till she needs to retire.
I've plenty of angora kids without having extra crossbreds just for the sake of it.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:50:09 am »
Are you going to dry off the AN or milk her through?  Will you try to milk through the ANBS?  If so, and it'll give you enough milk then why breed again?
AN: will milk through but I read that ANs tend to dry up on their own anyway?
ANBS: If she doesn’t kid in Spring, I’d milk through. I thought that leaving her too long between kiddings may affect her yield in the long term? Can’t remember where I picked up that idea.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:51:40 am »
That’s good to know, Dogwalker.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08:32 am »
Thanks, Anke. I gave my other half the choice of looking after the goats and sheep or walking the dogs and baby. He chose goats and sheep! I still get to do the goats’ feet though... Will have a think about how to proceed as I’m going to have a child around for years and the goats are going to kid at some point.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS