Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teat problem  (Read 1349 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Teat problem
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »
Hi
One of my goats was bothered by flies during summer, so when she had a 'funny' patch on her teat I thought it was a fly bite.
It didn't clear up, became a raised rough area, and now her other teat has got the same thing, I've realised the second patch must have been spread by me, because I finish off her other side with my right hand, and patches seem to be in the same place against my hand. It does seem to weep clear fluid just a little bit, wasn't sure until recently
During summer her pen did get a bit messy, she was a bit loose with all the grass, she always seemed to lay where she'd pooped!.
Any thoughts please?
Wondering whether a jab of P&S would help?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Teat problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:53:43 pm »
Thanks SD, i am reluctant to use Ab's as well, but been using wipes and udder cream and its not getting better.
Will try salt water and I kept meaning to get some Sudocrem for ages, so Savlon in the morning and I'll get some Sudocrem tomorrow. She still has a kid with her so i only milk in the mornings.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:56:41 pm »
If it is superficial you are probably better off using a mastitis cow tube, and just treat the affected area with it (rather than squirting into the teat, use as a surface cream). I have had terrible problems with staph aureus all summer on three goats udders - they share a pen and even though got cleaned and goats treated multiple times it cleared, then re-appeared again and again…. so in the end I gave up (they weren't shown) and it did clear up on its own by end of August. So unless it is spreading/painful/bloody etc, I maybe would leave it and teat-dip after milking. It's not orf though isn't it?

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:43 am »
One of my two goats had spots on udder and then she suddenly had an open sore with clear fluid weeping. Washed twice a day with hibiscrub which prevented things getting worse. Also washed my other goat’s udder just in case. Hibiscrub didn’t help the sore heal so sprayed with terramycin for about a week until it dried out and scabbed over. Haven’t had this before so hoping that keeping on top of ensuring dry beds will help to prevent future episodes.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »
Sorry Anke, thought I'd replied to your post, must have pressed return which deletes my last action.
Finally got some Sudocrem, seems to be doing the job, always thought it was like Savlon, but reading reviews on 'net it sounds like a wonder cream ????. Smelly stuff though, smell stays on my hand for ages, not nice when eating biscuits, maybe i should use a glove ????.
She's still not 100% but much better.
Thats worth trying if it starts again Isla. Hope your girl is OK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS