Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quails?  (Read 2488 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
Quails?
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:17:14 am »
Hi, I'm looking for someone to talk to me about quails!

It's not just for myself (though I'd may be like to keep some myself in a while) Lowimpact.org want me to add a topic about quails to their website. I look after their livestock section, but they like me to find a knowledgeable person to interview about a subject and credit the info to, rather than me just go away and research it myself. It gets you a bit of free promotion if you have a business. Anyone interested?

Lesley

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Quails?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 12:09:23 pm »
She hasn’t been on for a long time, but it’s worth a shout out... [member=169616]Quiltysquail[/member] [member=26833]quiltycats[/member]
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Quiltysquail

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the shoutout Sally (hope you are well?)

On topic... I only have a dozen or so quail, so not sure I’d be the best person for this project.

I love mine the murderous little blighters. ????

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:11 pm »
Most of the people I'd be writing for would be keeping them on a small scale, if you are willing to share your knowledge that would be great! Would you like to chat in this thread and share with everyone, via skype (or similar) or via pm/email?

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:57:27 pm »
Have also kept and bred quails for 15 years don't have any now but happy to answer any questions

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:31 pm »
We've kept a few for about 8 years ...... Japanese quail that is.
Kept for eggs and not meat.

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:38 am »
Thanks for the replies. I had a chat with someone to get me started but I may have a few more questions to pot in this thread.

Has anyone kept quail for meat? My other contact hasn't so I could still do with some info on that, thanks a lot!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:37:15 am »
A local farm shop might have some and prob be happy to tell you where they came from - this would get you someone on a more commercial scale. There is someone in Fife... he supplied that big farm shop on the road out of St. Andrews... but I can't remember his name  ??? ???

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:17:25 am »
Thanks for that, that's a good idea

L

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »
I hatched quite a lot of quail for meat but only in quantities suited for our family.
They grow fast-ish.
I kept them in a "quail tractor" I.e. a cage with wire floor placed on grass and moved to a new spot every day
Most people keep them in "batterry" style cages
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:12:43 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS