Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys and Chickens Together?  (Read 5359 times)

SarahNoble

• Joined Sep 2008
Turkeys and Chickens Together?
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:20 am »
I have read that you need to keep the two seperated because of Coccadious (not sure about the spelling) but would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it and what their experiences were. Christmas Day met an untimely death so I had to put a poult in with Boxing Day for company and they are both in the greenhouse at the moment with no apparent ill effects but I would like to let them out into an outdoor run (fruit cage) with 4 other sibling poults. Any thoughts?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Turkeys and Chickens Together?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:52:04 pm »
I hear what you are saying, and I understand that they shouldn't be mixed.  All I can tell you is, that here in France you can walk the countryside and see gardens full of birds - turkeys, chooks, gunea fowl, ducks and geese, all living together.  Everyone here buys in their 'stock' for the year at around June time and slaughters before Christmas.  They do it year in and year out with ill effects.  We even have the mix and my conclusion is that on a small scale I don't feel I have a problem.  The French live long lives, so I feel confident!

Kate  :turkey:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

SMD66

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:43 am »
Hi Sarah.  I am sure that some people will keep the 2 together but there is a chance that the turkeys may get "blackhead" disease which hens often carry but are immune to.  Any turkey farmer will warn you against keeping turkeys on ground that hens have had access to in the past as the disease can stay in the ground for a long time.

Wendyfayre

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »
There is a concoction available - added to the water stops blackhead.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »
Hi
I always when mixing the 2 fowl together put cider vinegar in their water- just a few drops and never had a problem

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS