Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello crafters  (Read 8020 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Hello crafters
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »

I too am preparing for Britspin.

I’m sure I must have been told who you are on Ravelry but I can’t recall.  Which team are you in?
I am Daisydonk and I am with a York Guild team.  I have to admit that I very rarely go on Ravelry though.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 03:17:14 pm »
As a fairly new spinner and weaver (just on a rigid heddle loom)and someone who started knitting a few years ago I don't know if I am reassured that everyone seems to have lots of things on the go at once or worried that it means I always will have lots of projects buzzing round in my brain. At the moment I am trying to finish a knitted aran throw and the edging for two woven cushions for a craft fair at the end of the month. I have some alpaca from a friend waiting to be plyed on the spinning wheel and at a workshop in the village I started a machine applique cushion for my future daughter-in-law's Christmas present. Machine applique really is not in my comfort zone but I've started it so I'd better finish it. Trouble is the preserving season still seems to be going on.

Sounds like you are a typical crafter - lots of WIP (work in progress) and even more ideas for things you want to make. Do you also have a huge stash of materials? I have enough fleeces to last me until I'm 212 and enough wool to last me the next 50 years but it doesn't stop me from getting more.  ;D

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:42 pm »
Well I still have some of the wool I had spun from our Jacobs plus last year's 6 fleeces. As I haven't managed to sell the 2 shropshire sheep I wanted to I will have 10 fleeces next year! And of course there's the various hanks of spun tops I bought when I was starting spinning, not to mention the fabric I have left from patchwork projects which I want to make into rag rugs (mind you I haven't learnt how yet). Do you think crafters have a strong belief in immortality?!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 01:04:47 am »
Well I still have some of the wool I had spun from our Jacobs plus last year's 6 fleeces. As I haven't managed to sell the 2 shropshire sheep I wanted to I will have 10 fleeces next year! And of course there's the various hanks of spun tops I bought when I was starting spinning, not to mention the fabric I have left from patchwork projects which I want to make into rag rugs (mind you I haven't learnt how yet). Do you think crafters have a strong belief in immortality?!

No, we're just optimists with no sense of reality.  And we just LOVE all that fibre  :love:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:33 am »
Most crafters soon becomb SABLE - stash accumulated beyond life expectancy
and have a lot of PhD's - projects half done

I am no exception.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 09:44:24 am »

I am no exception.

I have coined the term SABLEAFF - stash accumulated beyond life expectancy and (that of all my) friends (and) family  :D

I finished the moebius cowl, though!  :trophy:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:14:01 am »

I am no exception.

I like that expression. Maybe I'm getting to the stage of describing myself as a crafter.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 12:48:24 pm »

I am no exception.

I just reread this whole thread and I'm wondering how everyone is progressing with their projects?

My top down sweater is at about bust level.  I hated doing the first bits with a vengeance, I couldn't understand the instructions then suddenly - ping - I'd joined the front and back, and now I can zoom straight down.  I think though I'll attack the sleeves before I finish the body, just so I don't have them both to do at the end.  I'm dreading the sleeve caps.

A while back I decided to knit a full sized Shetland hap, but I realised it could never be a fine lacy one.  So I bought some chunky yarn and a very long needle, to knit my 'fancy free' hap.  It will just be to Cuddle up in in the coldest part of the winter, and will be very basic, but it's lovely soft yarn (Drops Andes, wool and alpaca from Peru in a mossy green)

Also as a quickie I'm knitting Mr F a hand muff.  Since he had some vicious chemo his circulation to his hands is very poor, so even sitting in front of the wood burner on cold nights his hands are freezing.  It's the same Drops Andes yarn, which is knitted on a 9mm needle, so that will be something I can finish quickly.  It's just a long tube, which will be doubled in on itself for extra warmth.

For the stash, well it's getting quite depressing all of a sudden, definitely STABLE.  It's dustbin day tomorrow so decision time for some of the stuff  :'( :spin:

How are you all getting on with the projects you had in motion when this thread started?  What have you finished and what is still a WIP?

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 03:06:12 pm »
Sooooo glad I didn’t make any optimistic predictions!  Lol

BritSpin was great fun, I didn’t the end do as much off the point as I’d expected to but span over 1100 “BritSpin metres” (basically counts 3m for every metre of 2-plied yarn) and have been continuing to spin since, although not every day.  I got out my Timbertops Beaver wheel for the event and have totally fallen in love with it.  It’s very fast, so I’m clocking up lots of high twist worsted yarn to use for warps and or socks.

Yesterday I found I’d been sent a parcel which turned out to be a Spinners’ Advent Calendar from a couple of friends.  10g of something different to spin each day.  What a thoughtful gift! 

I’m still knitting away at the Gansey.  It’s a Cornish Gansey, which means 5-ply yarn knitted on tiny (thin) needles, so it’s taking some time! 

I’ve made the decision to send some fleece off to the Natural Fibre Company to have it turned into rovings.  Although I do enjoy the prep too, I’ll get through a lot more that way, and a few people have said they’ll buy some to try, too.  The fleeces are lovely, so I hope the rovings will be delightful.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 07:43:43 pm »
I have spun up half of my John Arbon hawl from Yarndale.  It is still in singles as only filled the second bobbin yesterday, I will hopefully get it plyed on Tuesday, or maybe not as it is our Wolds spinners xmas lunch...

The Majacraft bobbins hold a lot of yarn, especially stuff that is spun really fine, and the plying bobbins even more :)

I made a mistake with the shetland shawl so it has sat in a bowl until I forgot about it.  I picked it up last night and counted the stitches and have worked out how to correct the error so that is on the cards for restarting.  It may still get finsihed for Christmas, but I will not commit to which Christmas.

The inkle loom has stood idle but I have done a fair bit on the rigid heddle loom and got rid of a lot of my not so good spinning that was building up.  A bit of felting and it makes great bags.  I stocked up on bag handles at the Knit and Stich show.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 11:37:34 pm »
The twins are absolutely gorgeous and, luckily for me, my DIL was unable to breast feed after the first month so I got to do lots of feeding as well as cuddles and a fair few dirty nappies. I wasn't able to get buttons for the cardigans in France as the shop that might possibly sell them was closed whenever we tried there. They did promise to get some when DIL's parents were over so that her mother could sew them on but I don't know if that has happened.

I gave up on the cardigan for grandson as I didn't understand the pattern but I have made all three of them hats. I then decided to do some Christmas presents. I'm part way through a braided cowl for my mother, have made a scarf for OH's first wife as we are going to spend Christmas with daughter and her other mother will also be there (other mother is the one who gave birth to her). Just about to start on some slipper boots for daughter and elder granddaughter which are in double chunky so should be quick. I might make some for grandson and younger granddaughter as well. I can work on the braided cowl over Christmas as we won't see my mother until 30th. After Christmas it is start the Sophie's universe throw time. I should get it done by June when we see them.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 08:18:48 am »
I am making progress on daughters wedding veil- I think I am almost ready to measure it off the needles to see if it is large enough for the border. It might have to take a back seat for a while as I have promised other daughter a tea cosy for Christmas. I am planning to model it on the Imperial State Crown! I have dyed some yarn a very regal purple but that is as far as I have managed at present!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 03:02:56 am »
Wow! Louise. That sounds like an impressive amount of crafting. I'd love to see a photo of the tea cosy and the shawl when it's done.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:05 pm »
The tea cosy, I hope will be ready for Christmas, the veil will be "unveiled"! in April.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS