Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I knew I hated using fine needles  (Read 2128 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I knew I hated using fine needles
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:44:07 pm »
So, my top down sweater.  I know I've mentioned it several times already but it's the only excitement in my life right now.  It's progressed to a few inches below the armpits and with no shaping my mind starts to ramble.  I wonder how many stitches I need to do from armpit to cast off, I thought.  So a bit of brain exercise  :thinking:  and I came up with 27,000 stitches.  Gasp  :o .  A few more rows of boring straight.  I wonder how many stitches I will have done when I finish the whole darn thing, I thought.  A bit more exercise of the brain  :thinking: .... :idea: .....90,000 stitches  :knit:   :yuck: .  Why do I knit?  I don't even like it  :tired: .  Why did I use such fine yarn and such fine needles? Well, I certainly don't know  :'( .

Next I think I'll work out how many stitches I will have done to finish my Shetland Hap.  At least with that I had the sense to use super chunky yarn and monster needles  :relief:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: I knew I hated using fine needles
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:25:22 am »
The shetland hap I am making is in home spun cobweb singles and very fine needles.  At least working out the stitches should be relatively easy as the pattern gives the number per side every pattern row.  When (if) I have some spare time I will see about working it out for you.

I am up to 60 hours knitting time and there was 10 ish hours of spinning time, I was not really taking note of this so it could be lots more or a bit less.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:30 am »
I keep meaning to calculate the number of stitches in my daughters wedding veil, and how many yarn overs, K2 tog etc! Having spent so much time knitting with cobweb yarn and 3.5mm needles it feels very odd knitting with 4mm needles and double knitting thickness yarn!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:03:49 pm »
You both make me seem such a whinger complaining about my too many stitches when you are both working with cobweb yarn.  I've spun a little of it but never knitted even a stitch - not with my big peasant hands  :eyelashes:   I'm looking forward to seeing both your photos of your completed wonderworks - they'll be amazing, real skill.  :spin: :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:22:03 pm »
I do not know about skill but many swear words have been sworn.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 12:23:52 am »
I do not know about skill but many swear words have been sworn.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS