Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Battery management  (Read 1918 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Battery management
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:55:52 pm »
The instructions (now mislaid) for the two batteries that came with the electric fence kit I bought this summer mentioned something about not letting them run right down but to re-charge before that point. I think it said that the normal re-charger wouldn’t  work???? Does that make sense to anyone? I won’t be needing them until next year so do I need to keep re-charging them over winter?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Battery management
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:28:05 pm »
As a rule of thumb, no battery does well if it’s allowed to run right down, and all batteries leak a bit so need a little top up if being not used for months.

Maybe give them a little top up after a month. Or every six weeks the next time if they didn’t seem to have lost any charge after a month.

We do not take this advice, either bit of it, and our batteries do not last very long ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:17:46 pm »

Buy a 12v battery tester, cheap compared to new battery

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »
If, as I'm assuming, they're 12v 'lead-acid'  (i.e. car / leisure / gel / agm) batteries then yes, they should be fully re-charged for  storage, the top wiped clean of any residue and stored in a cool dry place if possible. they would benefit from a brief top-up charge periodically - over winter I'd say 3-4 months is okay between top-ups but if stored at room temp then maybe 1-2 months between top-ups.
In use they ought to be re-charged before they go flat - I try to recharge mine before they drop below 12.0v; if you let them get down to 9v they won't last as long; <9v and you'll be replacing them very soon.
Not sure what they mean about a normal charger not working - a modern 'intelligent' charger may not work if the battery is flat as they need something typically >9v to detect that the battery is there and connected the right way before they turn on. Unless the batteries are sealed types - i.e. gel or AGM which ought to be charged with a charger that has a 'gel' setting. Were they supplied with a specific charger?

clanger

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
Have a look at CTEK battery chargers. With this, you can connect it up, plug it in and then forget about it until you require it again in the spring. They monitor the charge in the battery and top up when it starts to get a little low.  I'm not sure about the smaller models, but I know that their larger models can also restore/recover batteries that have been over-discharged.

I use one on my caravan over winter to keep the battery tip-top for the next season.

HTH,

Chris

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS