Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to go from here with our smallholding  (Read 4138 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Where to go from here with our smallholding
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 10:02:19 am »
It depends where you are and who your market is. In our city (Leicester) I could easily sell dozens of whole lambs every month. I would struggle to find market for beef though.
For time being I only sell chickens and can't keep up with the demand.

You could probably sell even more goat wethers where you are… (no market up here though).
Definitelly! People keep asking me about goats!
They miss eating them from Africa or India.

I sell chickens directly. Most people ring me begging for organic halal chickens as they are only two suppliera in the UK! Both near Oxford and sell chickens for £15 each. I know some people who get then delivered to Leicester!
I sell old hens for £6 And people love them.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:05:05 pm »
Black Sheep that would be really useful to us as newbies. I’m still waiting to hear from our local EHO. Macgro that sounds great but that market is not one that I could tap into but good for you to have found that niche.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 08:16:59 am »
So that means gradually changing the flock over ( 2 six year olds, 3 three year olds and one shearling plus our Tup). So another one to think through. As tupping time is imminent we may as well lamb some of them next year then decide how and what to swap to.

Why not get a more commercial Tup for this year and cross breed them?  You will get bigger lambs and can change your Rylands/part Rylands over that way, breeding some of the crossbreds back to a commercial Tup another year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS