Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb eating loads of ground  (Read 2617 times)

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
Lamb eating loads of ground
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:04:56 pm »
Hi we have a rejected lamb that we are bottle feeding.  She is 2 weeks old tomorrow.  She seems to be doing fine and is growing quickly and seems healthy and full of life.  She doesnt seem interested at all in creep feed or hay yet which I dont know whether I should be trying to encourage her more or whether this will come shortly?

I am concerned though that whenever I take her out and about for some exercise in the fields she spends most of the time eating ground from the tops of mole hills etc.  Im sure this must mean she has a deficiency or something wrong with her stomach?

Does anyone know?

Many thanks
TT

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Lamb eating loads of ground
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:32:14 am »
I'm not sure why she's doing it but it's not good for her - a good way to pick up listeriosis.  Perhaps she wants to try nibbling grass but without a mum to show her how she's not doing it right.  You need to get down on your hands and knees and show her how to graze  ;D ;D ;D  Lambs usually try a few odd mouthfuls of grass or hay from a few days old but they should still be getting their main nutrition from milk at 2 weeks.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
TT its fine! mine love mole hills and we have billions of them....never done any harm!
Will reply to your email later....got lost in the pile...sorry ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:34 pm »
Oh thanks Woolly!  Dont worry about not getting back to me - I know how busy you are!

She is doing fine and I have actually brought in two girls - our old skinny one who should have gone to the field in the sky this summer but didnt ;D and our young lamb who I topped up with a bottle in Feb - both of them I dont want to get preggers if poss so they are in with the young one at the moment - they are not happy and keep calling to the others but I hope I have caught them both in time - our matey boy is marching about with his top lip quivering so he is on the rampage.  I still have the little ones crate in there and just lock her in that at night - each time i go and check she is snuggled in her crate anyway so she has somewhere to go if they butt her - fingers crossed it will all be fine. famous last words!   

TT  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS