Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing birth chart, what do you think?  (Read 5623 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Lambing birth chart, what do you think?
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:50:31 pm »
hi guys

Im trying to attach a spread sheet to see what you think and also for you to use if you want too. tell me what you think, you can mark in the eartag number of the ewe tupped on the day and it gives you the lambing day, if I have got it right !!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
Re: Lambing birth chart, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »
alot of people looking but no comments...is it that bad ;D

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 06:53:48 pm »
Amazing - I couldn't do it - looks very useful.  I will certainly use it, many thanks and well done!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »
thanks for that caroline, just something I was playing with this afternoon, I will try and use it too and see if maybe i can improve on it

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »
I think that most people will not check which ewe was tupped every day, but only take overall numbers of the colour in question to bring them in in the right order. I don't use any raddle so far (as I would guess most people with smal flocks), but thinking about it (I am using two tups this year). Just as I use the fleeces I am a bit uncertain as to how long the colour stays on...

I also try and handle the ewes as little as possible during the pregnancy, have so far not scanned either.

Good idea for records though....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 01:35:54 am »
I just do the sums in my head, based on 'tupped on Bonfire Night, lamb on April Fools Day' - trying to keep the brain functioning  ;D  Same reason I add up my shopping as I go round the supermarket - usually lose count by the end of the first aisle  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:42:04 am »
We have an almost identical form in the back of one of our sheep books.  :sheep:

Ruralgirl

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »
Hi,

Your spreadsheet is well done and it is good that you are willing to share your ideas with everyone.
It will give a good indication when the ewe is due, if you manage to get the tag number as each ewe tupped.
However, the length of their gestation can very quite a bit in my flock, and I don't always notice exactly when each ewe has been tupped.

I am in North East Scotland where the weather plays a big part in when the ewes lamb, usually on a rainy or snowy day!

The thing that I use as a guide is to take note when their udders are heavy with milk & they usually lamb within 2 weeks, so maybe another column in your spreadsheet noting that date will help pinpoint the probable lambing date.

I wonder what everyone else uses as an indication.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »
Yes, i bring all of mine in about a week before the first due date, then just check udders and behaviour. Once the first possible lambing is due I am out there almost all day, well from 5am to 10pm (in the first three weeks), and check during the night if I think one of them I wasn't sure about... Have started to "train" my girls to keep checks too and come and find me if a ewe starts to lamb. They are getting better, now they have seen a few.

Busiest times are first thing in the morning, then again when I am about to have a meal,... any meal anytime!!!!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:04 pm »
All very interesting, its great to hear all your views and experiances, thanks very much

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS