Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are turkeys noisey?  (Read 2368 times)

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
Are turkeys noisey?
« on: September 25, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »
Hi,

thinking of raising some turkeys for meat. Best location in our field due to shelter and not being seen from the road is next to one neighbour (miserable git) >:( circa 3 mtrs from garden and 10 mtrs from house. If they turn out to be too noisey he will probably complain. Thinking of about 10 birds ongoing - from hatchling to dispatchling in a run of their own. Will be well away from the chucks :chook:
Also how much space would 10 birds need in a pen.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Are turkeys noisey?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »
they can make a noise but not like geese. offer him one for christmas he won't be able to complain over his christmas dinner.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:44:48 pm »
I have 10 turkeys that I incubated in May so are 4 nearly 5 months old. While they are this age they make a loud barking noise a bit like a goose and they all shout when they are hungry or when they see you. Other wise they make a nice chirruping noise. There enclosure is 40 square feet which is generous. (There is a photo somewhere a few pages back) We also let them out for a roam around when we are in the field. Our neighbors are a similar distance to yours can hear them but I will give them a bird for Christmas for the inconvenience and they are happy with that arrangement.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:17:03 pm »
Turkeys are fab. If you have hundreds , yes, they would sound noisy - but not just 10. They make a great noise , and as someone else said , it's often when they see you on your way to their pen. I had six lovely turkeys last year - but they were buggers to get into their shed at night - they once tried to roost on our kitchen windowsill. Every night I had to go looking for them and one evening in october I couldn't find them anywhere. Needless to say , it was their final night. So , make sure they are contained in some way or you could be turkeyless by xmas. Good luck !!
Bibs

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »
I had 2 turkeys as pets.  They were great fun, not noisy.  Charlotte used to come to our back door and knock with her beak, and would come in for something to eat. lol.  she enjoyed a piece of cake.  We had many a laugh with the turkeys. 
Cheers Helen

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:46:55 am »
They sizzle a bit when you cook them ;)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »
Great point shetland - free bird is a good offer.
Yes they are noisey, they do call ouyt a lot when they see people. If they can see your neighbour in his garden then expect noise. Is it wise to place livestock so close to a hostile party?

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:52 am »
Thanks for the replies

Shrekfeet - by his garden is the best place on our plot, hence asking if they are noisy, might have to reconsider position - do not want to antagonise him unnecessarily, ducks are right next door to where I am considering putting them and they do not seem to be a problem.

I am looking to put their shed in an enclosed run so they can be managed easier - how big would the run need to be for 10 turkeys to have a good "free range" quality of life?

Cheers,

Mark

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:26:47 pm »
i would be more worried about them eating his garden. they are very strong birds and can clear high fences.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS