Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age to breed suffolk cross ewes  (Read 4749 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
What age to breed suffolk cross ewes
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:11:14 am »
My lambs are now approx 7 months old so my question is; What age can I put a ram in with them for breeding?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: What age to breed suffolk cross ewes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:33:43 am »
Hello Jackie, you were early this morning!!   Personally, I would not put a ewe to the ram until its at least a year old.  earlier than this is, I think, too young, although I do know farmers who do put ewe lambs in with the ram and they do produce lambs, as young as they are.  Another issue is size.  If they are still quite small it could be detrimental to their development, not to mention the damage which could be done by a large heavy ram.  It will be interesting to see what the others on this site do in these circumstance.  Cheers. 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:22:13 am »
Hi Jackie

I am about to get some suffolk x ewes and its all a learning curve for me, where are you based Jackie?  not through my experiance but others that I have spoken to say dont put the  ewe lambs with the ram the first year, but also they say, well that one escaped and the ram got her, and she lambed ok, so I would say dont do it if you have the facilities to seperate them.  cheers
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »
some breeds and crosses (mule) are traditionally bred from in their first year but will require extra feeding because they are still growing themselves aswell as growing a lamb inside. The reason for this is to maximise profit. It is generally better to put the ram in when thay are one and a half. That way they will have the chance to grow properly before they need to lamb. Ewe lambs are however reputed to have stronger mothering instinct than gimmers.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:35:43 am »
Oh good I can buy a couple of cade ram lambs at the market in the spring and then run them with the gimmers fpr lambs then next year :)
 Just as I had planned, but I wondered if I had got it all wrong and the ewes needed to be in lamb the first year :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS