Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: come home today to a badly injured bird  (Read 3656 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
come home today to a badly injured bird
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:30:59 pm »
I arrived home today to a load of feathers lying in the garden, first thoughts it was gone. As I rounded them up in she came big bald patch on her back. Having a closer look she has three pretty bad wounds. Any suggestions to treat it or what do you all think? I fear the worst, infection or maybe worse maggots. any help please?
Craig

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: come home today to a badly injured bird
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:42 pm »
Firstly I would keep her on her own in a dark,warm area to calm her down. Initially I would bathe her with a light antiseptic, I find Savlon solution is good with animals and then dry and dust with a antiseptic powder.Then I would leave till morning. Too much initial treatment can lead to as much shock and upset as the attack. If she is still alive in the morning and she has recovered mentally you can further  assess and treat or if more serious ask for medical advice or dispatch. I usually find they are tougher than we give credit for but in the first few hours you can usually tell if they are going to die or pull through. If she does come through dont put her back with the other hens or they will pick on the wounds mercilessly andkill her.Goodluck. Hermit

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:55:06 pm »
Thanks Herrmit way out to give it a go. she was wandering around unperturbed when i got home, like nothing had happined. feeding drinking and straight in the coop to bed. I will go seperate her now in to the aviary which is heated, once again thanks
Craig

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:45:54 am »
How is she this morning?

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:52 am »
is there any evidence that she is being pecked by the others?

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:09:46 am »
i put her in to the aviary late last night, she seems to be doing well. infact she seems like nothings happened. keep you posted throughout the day. On a count this morning though, one has gone. I thought there were alot of feathers for to have come out her back.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:11:31 am by woodlandproductsfife »
Craig

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »
well she is all good at the moment, wound looks to be healing nicely. and the one that had vanished has reappeared. What should I be looking out for?
Craig

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
Prey wise? probably a stray dog, a fox would have killed one or both. Dont know what other predators would leave an injured bird and frighten one away unharmed. 

Hardfeather

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:04:06 am »
well she is all good at the moment, wound looks to be healing nicely. and the one that had vanished has reappeared. What should I be looking out for?

The next miracle to come your way. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket ;) ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:49:42 am »
well shes doing fab. ah the lottery eh now that would be a waste of a Quid
Craig

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:33:12 am »
well shes back on the lay, an egg with no shell the day after, no egg the following, and a nice complete egg on day three, what a chook!!!!!!!!!!
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS