Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In a Jam..  (Read 2820 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
In a Jam..
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:45:57 am »
We cleared the greenhouse a few weeks ago & had loads of green toms. So we set them out on the kitchen window cills to ripen . When ripe we decided to try & make tomato jelly , it's similar to a mint jelly but obviously using a tomato recipe.

Everything was going well,  but we couldn't get it to the right stickness point till suddenly it changed to a much darker colour .
 That seemed to work  it dribbled across the wooden spoon onto a cold plate and  set with a skin forming if I dragged a dry finger across the run.

So I duly filled  & sealed 8 small 160 ml Weck preserving jars with it leaving a half filled jar for immediate use .

Come the next morning I could barely push a teaspoon into the " Jelly " .

Much desparate  recipe book reading I realised we over boiled it , so had the idea of melting ths jelly out the jars using a pan of almost boiling water as the heat source & putting it in a big pan , adding 50 ml of water , heat it do a test , put a sample in the fridgethis time  and see how it looks when it has fully cooled.

Good news is that it set like a firm marmalade  , took it out the fridge, stood I on the worktop  & as it warmed to room temperature it turned to a runny syrup.

Do any of you know if I were to add say 1/4 bottle of pectin to the pan of liquid tomato jelly , stir it in & bring to the boil for a few minutes if that might jellify the jam or is it a lost cause ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:34:42 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: In a Jam..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:18:55 am »
I think I would use it as a 'slicing condiment' and make out you intended it to be like that!  Stop trying rescue operations while you're ahead  ;D

Having made a total hash of strawberry jam this year by using too much sugar, I sympathise totally with your tomato jelly.  I turned my strawberry disaster into a flavoursome syrup to pour over icecream  :yum:

You can use green tomatoes for frying, just like red ones, and they will freeze sliced.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »
Well , my lass took over added more of the pectin out thebottle to show we hve used almost 1/2 a bottle ,chUcked and egg cup of water in it as well & re-melted it this morning.
I had to take over as Alison had to go out , stirred & rapidly boiled it up for 20 sec to ensure everything is fully infused and turned off the heat.   I then put a dessert spoon of the jelly into a small ramekin dish & put it in the fridge .  On checking it a few min ago it's more like a soft marmalade, so it looks like it's worked . Next stage is to let it comeback to room temp & see what it is like runny water or a soft jam .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: In a Jam.. Any update?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 09:02:09 pm »
Please tell us  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:12:19 am »
Back on to the gas ring for another four minutes boil up .my friends .

It is almost there after three more re-heats .. It goes solid in the fridge but it stays or returns to being runny out of it .

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »
Yipeeee! Jammy  ***ger that I am . the jelly jam has turned out well . I eventually boiled off 135 grams of moisture after four short rapid boils  without burning or caramelizing the sugar .

I've now got seven 160 ml Weck preserving jars of it sealed up & cooling, ready for putting in the store cupboard once it's cold.

It's looking good for white meats & fowl though if it is going down realy well I'll give it  test run on an inch thinck pinkish lamb steak & perhaps even any cold meat .

Best thing is this jely jam can be made any time of the year  if there friut & veg wholsaler has trays of tomatoes in stock .

I'm about to go out to harvest the remaining toms & black grapes from our garden as there was a very light air frost last night.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS