Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feet trimming and back pain  (Read 15896 times)

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
Feet trimming and back pain
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:51:52 am »
Hi everyone
When I handle the sheep to check and trim feet it kills my lower back. Does anyone else have this problem?
I mentioned on an earlier post I would look into getting a turnover crate - but the person who told me about them forgot to say how much they cost!! So I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon....
What do other folk do to make things easier on the back? Any hints or tips would be gratefully received. (I'm quite tall which may make things worse?!)
Thanks

rustyme

Re: Feet trimming and back pain
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »
hello Noggie,
                I haven't got my own sheep yet, but have worked with them before ,and I also suffer from a bad back . I am not sure how my back will cope with shifting heavy sheep about while bent double , but time will tell !!!!lol. As to a sheep cradle, I have a book that has many plans/instructions ,on how to make all sorts of useful items for smallholders,such as :sheep hay rack, sh.mineral block holder,trad sheep trough 6'sheep hurdle,and many more things, including a sheep cradle . All items are very easy to make out of wood ,and only basic woodwork skills are needed. The book is called, The Smallholder's D.I.Y., by Michael Roberts. It is available from :

www.goldcockerelbooks.co.uk

It costs £8.00 , but I got mine from Amazon for 99p ,so checking there first maybe the best bet ?.
  I hope the information is of use to you ,and that your back holds out ok ... ;D

cheers

Russ

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:47:29 pm »
I have a cotentin ewe and ouessant sheep; the cotentin weighs upwards of 100 kilos but shes a doddle to feet trim or even shear she just stands there;I pick up her feet as I would a horse and to shear just shear.  for the ouessants they weigh next to nothing and can be shorn on a table.

answer either v large or v small sheep  :-\
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:24:36 pm »
I have suffolks and they are heavy sheep with shortish legs. nowadays i use a turning crate when i do they regular foot checks and they are good but the crate is extremely heavy so isn't often where my sheep are. if i am in a different shed i will sometimes use a corner to prop a ewe into; or better still use two straw bales shaped into a v into which I tip/turn the sheep. if my back starts to get sore i simply sit on the bales with the ewe between my legs
Ian

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 12:01:22 am »
yes it is a killer on the back,luckily my eldest daughter holds them up while i trim them.I have noticed a device on the market think its a sheep seat, looks like a stretcher carrier just a metal frame with material attached to it,one end sits on the gate lift sheep on to it as the material stretches the sheep just sits there and you can work single handed.one on ebay at the moment does anyone use these because we are thinking of either making one or buying.     neil

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:30:34 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. The book is a definite for me, Russ - I like the idea of having a go at making some of the kit.
With the (llanwenog) ewes standing, I just about manage to trim the front feet but don't stand a chance with the hind legs kicking so I normally revert to turning the ewe onto her bottom and leaning up against my legs - kills my back though! I'll also try Hex's suggestion with the two bales.
I managed to see the sheep seat on ebay -looked interesting. If it works well, it could be a really economical alternative to the turnover crate. I'd be interested to hear if anyone uses one.
Cheers everyone
N

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:21:29 pm »
Yes I have one of the seats got it for £4 at a farm sale and it saves the old back just reverse the sheep till back legs touch lower bar and sit them up some will squirm a bit but soon get used to it.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Griffiths

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »
Hi.

I produce a seat for sheep which makes feet trimming etc easy!

Sold through ebay:  http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/motfailure_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Thanks

I Griffiths
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:35:27 am by Griffiths »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »
it great having a fit wife and six children. ;D

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 07:54:20 pm »
I have bu33ered back due to a freak horse accident. Trimming sheep feet is a pain (in the back).
A crate is very good, but costly - a deck chair (or sofa) helps. I trim the big rams, standing like a horse. At first I give them a bucket and tether them. They soon get the idea and after a few trims i'm able to to 'do' their feet standing up with no help from a bucket or rope.

Sheep seats/deckchairs/sofas are a easy DIY  build using scaffold poles, tarp and a bit of rope  ;D
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 02:33:43 pm »
Ah, it does help to have a couple of fit young things in our group!  Love the look of the seats, and the sheep looks like she is enjoying it too!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 01:58:09 pm »
I thank my lucky stars that Bertie my pet Shetland sheep is so small.  Its the enormous shropshire sheep we struggle with ......they take some turning over, believe me.  No way can I do it, I am only small, and my OH struggles, and he is considered strong.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »
its the smallest shetland we have the most problems with. she is very crafty and will escape anyway she can. the cheviots once caught which is very funny the daughter being dragged about by the sheep. just give up and let you do what you need to do with them.

Griffiths

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:33:39 am »
yes it is a killer on the back,luckily my eldest daughter holds them up while i trim them.I have noticed a device on the market think its a sheep seat, looks like a stretcher carrier just a metal frame with material attached to it,one end sits on the gate lift sheep on to it as the material stretches the sheep just sits there and you can work single handed.one on ebay at the moment does anyone use these because we are thinking of either making one or buying.     neil

Hi.

I produce a seat for sheep which makes feet trimming etc easy!

Sold through ebay:  http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/motfailure_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Thanks

I Griffiths
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:35:50 am by Griffiths »

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:10 pm »
I can't find your seat on eBay?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS