Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant Ewe?  (Read 2512 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Pregnant Ewe?
« on: September 23, 2010, 01:06:23 pm »
I purchased my very first ewes a couple of months ago, one has always been a bit rounder but now I'm wondering if she is in lamb. Unable to contact seller.

I'm a total novice, have looked up 'what to look for' (not found a lot of info) so it's still pretty tricky for me to tell. No chance of getting scans done so will have to be done by eye.

They do have a good field so could it be poss too much grass (are the grass nutrients high for them at this time of year - end Sept)? And if she is about to have (her first) lamb, would you guys advise, in due course, bringing her in to lamb (as the colder rainy days are ahead)?

And just for future ref - do you think it better to let ewes lamb inside or out? I was intending to introduce a ram sometime October/November so they lambed during the warmer days of March/April.

All advice welcome!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pregnant Ewe?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:54:39 pm »
I've got one that always looks pregnant. You could probably get your vet to PD her. They start to get an udder days before they lamb, but some bag up late so it's not reliable.

Generally sheep are better lambed outdoors - less disease - but at this time of year, the lamb might be better inside until it's dry and fed and a few days old. A combination of wet and windy is a killer. You can get things called lammacs - raincoats for lambs, that help protect them from the weather. If she is pregnant, I'd lamb her indoors if I could.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:10:02 pm »
Unlikely to be in lamb at this time of year but on the other hand there have been an unusually high number of late lambs around the place this year.  Ewes can look nearly as wide as they are tall, just from the effect of digesting huge volumes of fodder.  Grass is relatively low in nutrients at this time of year.  I would leave her be but just check her udder by lifting her tail every few days - you will get plenty of warning if she is in lamb.  If the tup, when you introduce him, shows no interest in her over the weeks he is in, then it ups the likelihood that she is already in lamb. Do let us know what happens.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »
Just noticed your post - what breed is your ewe?  Most have a 'season' so unlikely to lamb so late in the year unless she is a breed which can lamb at other times (such as Polled Dorset).  Unfortunately a somewhat overweight ewe tends to look pregnant whether she is or not, but at least if you know whether its possible she might be in lamb, then you're halfway there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS