Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: opening a shop?????  (Read 3136 times)

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
opening a shop?????
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:00 am »
im after any advice on the subject please...  i have a brick outbuilding built off the side of my house which i would like to use as a shop to sell smallholding equipment and garden tools etc etc...  im just not sure how i go about getting permission and what legal requirements are needed to do such a thing..  my home is alongside the a16 in lincolnshire so have a good amount of passing traffic and hopefully customers...  also im really struggling to find any wholesalers for this kind of stuff....  any help would be great and can post pics of dedicated building if needed...

many thanks

dave

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: opening a shop?????
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:15 am »
I imagine you would have to apply to your local council for change of use of a building. My son and daughter-in-law would know better than I do about setting up a business. I will ask them for some tips when they get back this evening.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:34 am »
What a good idea!  I would see if there is a new business venture type advisory place (cant think of the exact name it would be called) and ask for advice as there will be grants etc available I am sure. Definately local council for planning for building and CAR PARKING! as that is as big an issue as the building.

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:47 am »
As Hermit said, you'll need planning for change of use and need a large area off road for parking and off loading delivery lorrys.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:27 pm »
Have you tried www.businesslink.gov.uk  for advice? They have tons of info on their website and normally have loads of factsheets and things for setting up different kinds of businesses.

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:47:05 pm »
thanks for all your replys ...  rang council this morning and more straightforward than i first thought...  building regs are really helpful and i dont have to do as much work on the building as i first thought...  planning is pretty much the same, much easier because im not changing the exterior of the building...  parking isnt an issue as have room for atleast 10 cars...  also as there is an antique shop opposite me which was an old barn so hopefully might get some of his customers...    all sounding great...  still having problems finding wholesalers for this sort of stuff but i will keep trying...  also free local deliverys will be offered as my wife drives locally for her job...    any tips or ideas on what sort of stock you would like to see in this sort of shop would be great......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »
Check out 'supplies for smallholders' website - should give you ideas for your shop, and not in direct competition as he is online. http://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »
For suppliers why go to a wholesalers? I am sure most manufacturers sell direct.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS