Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In your opinion are the store lambs ready?  (Read 3001 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
In your opinion are the store lambs ready?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »
Hi Guys

Please can you look at my pic taken today and tell me if you can see if you think they are ready for the abottoir? RIP

They are booked to go monday but it would be great to have your opinion

thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:55:01 pm by andywalt »
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

old dad

• Joined May 2010
Re: In your opinion are the store lambs ready?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »
it's difficult to say without something in the picture on a standard size but would they vary between 28-36kg each so 14-18 on the hook. please up date next week. what do you think they weigh?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
Nice looking lambs Andy.  Look ready to me, but I'm not the right person to be giving opinions on such things!!!  Good luck with your 15 ewes, take it they are in lamb.  You'll be busy next Spring! 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »
 Nick your wife's bathroom scales (or you might have your own...), put on a solid surface first weigh yourself and then pick up your biggest lamb and try and keep still enough to read. Helps with a second person there to steady lamb and read for you. Digital scales are best. Hopefully you have not got any close neighbours, especially not with a camera ready... but it works and gives you a rough idea of liveweight.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:57:03 pm »
cheers Caroline, thanks I will be busy, and I will be even busier if I am allowed another 3 acres next to us rented for next to nothing, I will find out next week if they will allow me to lease it, .....watch this space..... also i am totally mad because Ive decided to keep the pedigree southdown ram lamb in the garden (which I collect on the 9th oct) put aside for the following year( as someone mentioned might be too small at present) and purchase a 3 year old pedigree Romney for the suffolks which is much larger and will clear up the suffocks which are not in lamb by the Norfolk Horn ram........long story.....

As for the weighting scales Anke good idea but can see my self cracking up with laughter and falling on the floor with my legs in the air in spasms of laughter trying to perform that....giggling...but as its my first batch trying to find out whats a good weight...how long is a piece of string !!! as diffrent breeds different sizes ect...and also natural weight with grass only not pushed on with any additional feed, understand now the live weight is double the dead weight....so maybe I should be aiming at 40-50kg live weight for 7 - 8 months old? we will see next week.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:39:19 pm »
Absolutely love the bathroom scales idea - get your OH to take some pics when you do it Andy, you can then post them on here...can't wait!!!

So what happened (or rather didn't happen) with the Norfolk Horn?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »
The Norfolk Horn Ram, I didnt buy as there a 6 of his daughters in the flock, so I thought it best not to take him as well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS