Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Replacing slaughter tag  (Read 1301 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Replacing slaughter tag
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:59:28 pm »
Hi lovely people.
We keep a couple of pet lambs every year from a friends farm. They come with single slaughter tags with their flock no on.
This year I have decided to keep one of them. I am struggling to work out what to do about tagging.
I have red replacement tags in pairs. Can I use them? If so what do I do about the original farm tag?

TIA

K

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Replacing slaughter tag
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:51:48 pm »
You cut out the old tag, put in the new pair and record the old and new numbers in your record book.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:55:59 pm »
Red replacement tags are the correct tags to use in your situation , when sally says you cut out the single slaughter tag , this is done by cutting the centre pin in half, then you can put a red tag in the same hole .  When you say you want to keep one lamb I assume you have other sheep to keep it company ?

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:46:26 pm »
Thanks folks. Appreciate the help. Yes I have recently bought 2 ryeland gimmers in the hope that I can rear my own lambs. The lamb I want to keep is a really nice big pet. Thought I could keep her in case something happens to one of my gimmers. Then they won’t be on their own.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS