Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boar losing weight?  (Read 3824 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
boar losing weight?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:34:33 pm »
as the title says... Our kune kune boar seems to have lost weight very quickly

he is eating well and no sign of scouring.  when he lived with the goats, he was naughty & stole their food when he got chance and was fat and round as he should be - now he gets pig meal, grass, hay, greens & fruit.

It could look worse than it is, because the girls are very pregnant and a totally different shape!   :pig: 

but any suggestions (other than feeding him more!) much appreciated before the winter sets in.
Little Blue

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: boar losing weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »
I do think the answer is to feed more; is he in with the girls ? If he is he will have competition for his ration from very greedy expectant mums who often have ferocious appetites. Can you feed him a little distance away from them to give him a chance to eat his full ration?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:17 am »
Probably a stupid question .....  sorry  ..... but have you wormed him with a strong wormer just in case?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:03:38 pm »
Its next on my list, we've just had worm & Baytril ALL our birds (46, from warrens to month old quail) by syringing it into each and every beak for 7 days... so the pigs were going to wait til 1) after piglets and 2) after pay-day!

or should the girls be done before farrowing?! my head gets so full of info, I cant remember the correct ways!

they get plenty of food, spread out so its fair. 
they have a mash, with a few mixed flakes... maybe Im being abit mean with it...  :)
Little Blue

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:51:36 am »
Try and feed in separate piles /areas even better in separate buckets he'll be less likely to give it up; give him his a few yards away from the girls.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:53:08 am »
Try and feed in separate piles /areas even better in separate buckets he'll be less likely to give it up; give him his a few yards away from the girls.
Do you feed by weight how much do they get?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:43:28 am »
I do really understand the pay day thing.  Havent had a bottle of wine for ages cos the pig wormer cost over 100 euros  :'( :'( :'(  The quicker you worm though the less money you will be wasting on feeding the worms. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:01:51 pm »
tried this... they all think the other has better food and continually swap round, making a terrible racket!!
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:35 am »
Thats pigs for you.

;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS