Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: iron age piglets  (Read 8568 times)

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
iron age piglets
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »
I really want to post pics of my iron age sow and her piglets - but I can't get it to work ??? ??? Could some kind soul please explain how to attach pics and then I will !! My grasp on technology is also iron age . xx

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: iron age piglets
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »
if you have/open up a photobucket account and add your pictures on to it, you can then copy and paste the image code onto your forum message, thats the only way i know how, but i think there is another too  ???
Danielle

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »
The other way is to click 'additional options' at the bottom of the post message box and upload them there - you'll probably need to resize the photo in your photo editing programme first (if it's too big a file - over 512KB - it won't attach)
HTH
Karen x

alisstuf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • New Forest
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
Mine are iron age too!!!
Been thinking the same thing about photos so will give it a go tomorrow. We can compare notes :pig:
Ali

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:24 am »
We can compare notes :pig:
Ali
and the rest of us can enjoy the photos ..  :D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:47:23 pm »
Still waiting  ;)  Only kidding, would love to see some pictures of iron agers, though, if anyone's got any - thinking of trying some new breeds, hence why. Anybody who could tell me the iron age pig's characteristics and for what purpose they're keeping them?

Eve  :wave:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »
Ditto.... I am interested in something different as well.

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:29 am »
still struggling ...... my files are too big apparently :o Anyway - the iron age pig was an invention in the 1970's for a living iron age village. They tried to envisage what sort of pig the iron agers would have had and came up with a wild boar/tamworth cross. The piglets are ginger and stripey ( if only you could see the pics !! ) and the sow is very dark , really almost black with ginger bits. They have very long snouts. The piglets lose their stripes as they mature. They are not an official 'rare breed' but are seen as such amongst pig people.
We got Wilma our sow at a farm sale - she was in pig at the time.
They are kept for their excellent meat - if you've ever tried wild boar or tamworth pork you'll know that it is pretty tasty. - and of course they are pretty hardy.
I will persevere with the pictures.
Bibs x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:34:52 am »
Only my experience but I found them very flighty and difficult to get close to unlike straight tamworths.  Also more or less impervious to our electric fencing, and our abattoir would not take them. 

Sorry thats really negative, and I am sure in UK its much easier they are very hostile towards anything wild boar here.  The meat was delicious.

And the piglets are so very pretty

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »
I have had (and still got) Tamworths and Iron Age. Just got our first Iron age back from the butcher this weekend and very pleased with the taste!! My wife reckons it is a better flavour than the Tamworths we done previously although I am not sure it is any different!!! Certainly better than anythink else we have ever brought from Tesco's!!!

Would agree that the Iron Age was less friendly than the Tammies........and as for escaping.......had all the pigs escape this morning so now off to fix the fault in the electric fence!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »
I'm having a bad day and didnt mean to write that quite as it came out ( a perfect example of virtual putting your foot in your mouth) they are gorgeous piglets, wonderful meat, just a little more lively than the average tammie.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
Try resizing the pics (save copies first) by opening them in Office Picture Manager or similar programme. You can select them all and resize them in one go, very quick and easy. Try 400 x 600 pixels or thereabouts.

***in other words - we really wanna see your pics!  :pig:***
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

alisstuf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • New Forest
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »
Have had our Iron age for 3 weeks.
Haven't tried to escape yet!!! Love a good scratch, we have bought a hard horse brush and the younger ones (aged from 8 weeks to 12 weeks ) love it, they roll over and climb on our knees when we sit on the crate. They can be a bit scrappy with each other but no worse than my very boisterous badly behaved rescue dog!!
Our mature boar is really gentle, the gilts can be bossy but they are in pig so I'll excuse them for now.
We are having great fun with them
will let you know about meat when the deed is done. I'm going out that day. Coward!!
Oh yes nearly forgot, make great rotavators!!  :pig:

conman

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »
still no pics  :(

ok the best way to put pictures on line is through photobucket.com its free quick to sign up to you wont have to resize any thing and you can back up all your photos to it for free and look at them from any where you can get internet access they also give you codes so you can put photos on any forum in the same way (with out having to figure out each sites methods and sizes) only other tip for it is to get ur album names right at the start because if ya change a file or folder name the link to it from forums etc will no longer work so if ya post a pic here then change the pic name it will no longer be visible from here but will still be safe in your photobucket account

hope this helps im lookin forward to seeing ur piggies

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 08:49:50 pm »
I'm going straight to photo bucket ........ fingers crossed. They are little buggers for escaping   - I will agree ..... I'm trying to envisage the day they go off to their new owners .... might have to go out that day cos I cannot imagine how they will allow themselves to be captured. They are now about 6 weeks old and have , for now , lost all inhibitions and have started eating my boots when I go into the pen. I know all pigs are different , but I have to say , our sow Wilma , who came to us in pig is the tamest pig I have ever known . Right .... photo bucket here I come .......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS