Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearling tup scouring  (Read 2271 times)

Farmernick

• Joined Aug 2017
Shearling tup scouring
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
I bought a new tup a couple of weeks ago. Lovely pure Suffolk to run on some mules. He’s due to go in with the ewes next week but since yesterday I have noticed he’s got a bit of a runny bum!

I drenched him with Combinex on the day he arrived, kept him separate etc and slowly introduced him to our Charollais tup who is now his best friend. Grass is short this year (we’ve all got the same issue) and since last week I have been feeding both boys a coarse ram mix (Heygates) and supplementing the lack of grass with a bit of hay. We always feed our boys on the run up to tupping but maybe this feed is causing him to scour? Thoughts?

Thanks
 :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Shearling tup scouring
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:21 pm »
I would get a FEC done asap to check efficacy of the wormer.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:26:42 am »
I'd stop feeding the course mix straight away and see if that makes a difference. As your feeding dry hay my gut feeling is that its not feed related though. I would either worm again with a different wormer or FEC to check the wormer have worked

Farmernick

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:43:09 am »
I'd stop feeding the course mix straight away and see if that makes a difference. As your feeding dry hay my gut feeling is that its not feed related though. I would either worm again with a different wormer or FEC to check the wormer have worked

Thanks for reply. I’ll stop with the feed and get a FEC done. Is it safe to use a different wormer only 3 weeks after drenching him with another?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:45:28 am »
I would be wary of changing anything massively, black head black arse as they say. Talk to your Vet when you take the FEC in as there are other possibilities 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:58:24 am »

Thanks for reply. I’ll stop with the feed and get a FEC done. Is it safe to use a different wormer only 3 weeks after drenching him with another?

Talk to the vet- I used Zolvix (orange wormer) and Dectomax (for scab but also a clear wormer) one after the other as a quarantine treatment. But really when he came onto your holding you should have used a quarantine wormer (either Zolvix or Startect) rather than the Combinex. If he's resistant to the Combinex he will have brought resistant eggs with him and spread them over your pasture meaning you could well have a resistance to yellow levamisole wormers on your land now  :tired:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »
 A FEC would be the first on my list to check , it is not unknown for  a ram that has had long term scours be given products to bung them up before a sale and in the case of Suffolks  large amounts of copper which both dries them up and gives them a shiny black head and legs .

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:24 pm »
As others say I would get a FEC count done just to check but I have the same issue with a gritstone tup lamb. We've been adding a bit of feed to get some up to slaughter weight but its just upset their stomach, they've a tough hill breed and don't seem to cope with hard feed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS