Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting sows in pig????  (Read 5047 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
getting sows in pig????
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »
i have 2yr 4 month old sow who had piglets 16 months ago and a gilt who is 16/17 months old...should they be ok to get in pig still?? you her so many things like dont leave more than 12 months between litters etc..........also the gilt is she to old as we didnt have a boar until last week,he's in with them now but ive not seen him 'with them' the gilt was in season just before we got him but not now........

also the boar has just turned a year old and has never been with any girls he should be ok to do the deed shouldn't he????? ??? :pig: ???
'can't rain all the time!'

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: getting sows in pig????
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »
she'll be 3 weeks between seasons, so be patient!
and yes... he'll get the hang of things (so to speak!) very quickly.
keep an eye on them... you may see him sniffing her urine to check the hormone/pheromone levels as well as sniffing her feminine parts   :)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:35 pm »
Your sow might be too old and you may have left your gilt too long - but if they're in with the boar you've got the best chance of success  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I think it's a case of sometimes these things happen. It's not THAT long since your sow had piglets so there's a good chance of her getting in-pig, same with the gilt - if she had been 2-3 and never had a litter I'd be sceptical, but at 16 months she should be fine. As long as they are healthy and not over fat, you're giving them the best possible chance. Also you probably won't see the boar serving the pigs - knowing when they are in season and watching if they come back into season 3 weeks later will tell you if he's been successful - but it may take one or two cycles before this happens.
Having only recently started breeding (pigs, anyway ;)) I'm not hugely experienced, but it's my understanding that (in commercial production, at least) they keep the sows breeding regularly to increase litter size - the number of piglets drops with the length of time between litters- according to my friend who works in a commercial piggery.
HTH
Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:26 am »
We had a kune kune never seen to come into season, never had a litter despite running with two different kune kune boars during her lifetime.  To my knowledge she had never been near our boar, yet 2 weeks ago she produced 10 little darlings.  It just goes to show.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:47 am »
WOW HM !
Congratulations  ;D ;D ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:12:27 pm »
Actually its more like condolences :  gave her to a friend who is NOT happy that she produced.   :o  Am now trying to rehome 10 of the cutest piglets ever, but as pets as she is veggie!!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:30:43 pm »
Oooo ooopsie then  ;)
Shame you're so far away, ALL my pigs are pets (til the time comes  ;))
Hope you manage to find homes for them *whispers - Kune Kune meat IS tasty*
Karen x

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »
Rehoming 10 pet pigs, oh dear! How about trying petting zoos? Guaranteed not to be eaten!  ;D

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:20:05 am »
Rehoming 10 pet pigs, oh dear! How about trying petting zoos? Guaranteed not to be eaten!  ;D

Eve  :wave:

..... this IS France ...  everything gets eaten

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:27 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:16 pm »
thanks for that........i have bought in some kk piglets for meat so cant wait to try it!!mmmmmmmmmm :yum: :o
'can't rain all the time!'

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »
..... this IS France ...  everything gets eaten

Ah, yes, forgot about that  :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:40:35 am »
Yes time to start collecting the snails before they hibernate for winter.  (Have to fight Hilary for them  ;D )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS