Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune kune....... wonderful!  (Read 2664 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Kune kune....... wonderful!
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:12 pm »
Tonight is the first time I have eaten Kune kune and its wonderful!!

I have eaten pink pig (home grown) and lop but OMG Kune kune is soooooo much better! ;D ;D

Unfortunately tomorrow Im joining Lighter life so wont be able to eat it for a loooong time.  :( :'( :-[

pigman

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Kune kune....... wonderful!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »
were the cuts on the small side.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »
I also tasted Kune Kune for the first time this week  ;D
The lady that I bought my new boar from raises her excess boars for meat (and has bought a tamworth sow to cross with the KK boar to give longer carcasses) she smokes a lot of the meat too and was raving about how good it was - I was sceptical  :-[ But having tried it I have no worries about the quality OMG ! It's fab  :yum: Her's are purely on grass with no additional feeding and she sends them off at 8 months and gets approx 40 KG of meat back - it's not bad really compared to porkers going off at 6 months having consumed £££'s of food  ;)

Pigman - I saw no difference in size from her chops to those which I bought recently from a local guy who raises pigs (his weren't a patch on hers taste wise though)

On a similar thread - I still have 2 KK boars available (and one wee gilt), ready to go middle of October, if anybody want's to have a taste  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:47 am »
HappyHippy, this person feeds the KK purely on grass? I would like to know more. So is it a matter of re-seeding a whole field every year? At 8 months... that would make it the same length of time as when we keep some sows for bacon so no less or more work... sounds interesting!

Eve  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:49:14 am »
Eve,
I'm assuming she gives them a bit of feed during the winter and fruit and veg etc - but yes, she told me purely on grass.
We didn't go into the in's and out's but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you contacted her to ask. Pm me and I'll give you her number if you want.
Karen x

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
We have crossed kune kune with GOS and that makes wonderful lean and tasty meat, v popular with our customers!  :pig:

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:15 pm »
wow thats great to here im raising 3 kk's for meat and a mangalitza aswell..all for the first time and did wonder about what age and what size they would be etc....nice to here the taste should be worth it!! :pig: :)
'can't rain all the time!'

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »
I'm hoping to cross my Kune Kune with some Berkshires (eventually) ;D
This will hopefully speed up the finishing time and keep the costs minimal as (I believe) Berkshire's are also mainly grazers (and VERY tasty)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS