Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Number of sheep in a trailer  (Read 6269 times)

spidge

• Joined Mar 2018
Number of sheep in a trailer
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »
Hi all. I'm looking at buying a small livestock trailer similar to the one attached. Its an ifor williams and measured at 130cm wide (box only), 120cm high (box only) and 208cm long excluding towbar (88cm). I just wondered how many (on average) standard commercial sheep you could fit in a single short journey. It maybe a P6e?? But i dont know enough to be sure...

Ideally looking at moving 2-4 sheep around at a time, but wondered if it would take 5-6 to and from market 5 mins down the road?

Thanks.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Number of sheep in a trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »
The weight comes into play here, so you need to find out what the payload is- it will be stamped on the axle. It looks unbraked- if so the maximum weight of trailer and contents mustn’t go over 750kg. An average commercial  ewe weighs 70-80kg. We have a similar trailer and fit 6 65kg ewes in no problem at all

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
I agree with Twizzle. I had a PG6 and it was comfortable with 4 and 6 is ok. However mine wasn't well ventilated as it had apparently been a store trailer originally and converted. If it has good ventilation holes at the front and a decent gap above the back door you should be ok. But you might find ventilation on a hot day is more of a limitation on capacity than the weight.

spidge

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:26 pm »
Thanks very much...good points well made. It looks in good nick so I think it will be fine for me.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:36:19 pm »
I had something similar when I first started with sheep.  I only did one journey with it when I bought 3 sheep from the breed sales in the August.  Very poor ventilation and I had changed the trailer before the breed sales held in September from where I brought 6 sheep home without any problems.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 04:19:29 pm »
I had something similar when I first started with sheep.  I only did one journey with it when I bought 3 sheep from the breed sales in the August.  Very poor ventilation and I had changed the trailer before the breed sales held in September from where I brought 6 sheep home without any problems.

Agree- we have a graham edwards gp74s with livestock top- super little trailer, really well ventilated, stock always travel well in it and load easily as it's nice and light. Have carried sheep 200 miles and they have come off the trailer as fresh as they went in.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:14:46 pm »
New or used , if used jack it up  and check the wheel bearings , all the lighting system and the hitch is not worn .   Depends on how much use, after 15yrs i'm on 3rd set of bearing and 2nd hitch

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 07:10:06 pm »
I think the ventilation would be  problem on a warm day. A five minute journey would be OK but I'm not sure that I would put more than three sheep in for journeys longer than 20 minutes.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:09:25 am »
If that's a P6e then it'll have vents on the front face of the canopy.

I have a P6e and it also has two roof hatches.  I can't say I've ever had to open them, but then I avoid transporting in any hot weather anyway.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:53 am »
Vents at the front only work if travelling at some speed.  Any slow or standing traffic and the trailer is not ventilated.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:28:10 am »
I have that trailer, I use it it for up to 6 adult sheep.

Southern Northerner

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 05:24:51 pm »
It looks like a P6e which I have - it’s a nice little practical trailer.  I agree with all of the above plus if you’re transporting less sheep a divider would be useful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS