Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Over-seeding  (Read 1372 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Over-seeding
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:54:55 am »
I want to over-seed 2 small (1 acre each) fields with herbal leys and am aware I need to get cracking weather-wise.
However I have 4 pigs in one field (going to abattoir 10/10/18) and Heb sheep in the other (only 4, so not much footfall really). Can I go ahead while the animals are in there? My reading indicates yes and that their feet will help push the seed down into the soil. But elsewhere, some say it needs a few weeks to establish before letting animals on it. The pasture is currently rough, unimproved, although the pig field is nearly flat now, with some bare areas where their house and water trough are.
Any advice welcome!
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Over-seeding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:07 am »
I’m not hugely experienced in this area, but it would seem to me that you need stock off for a total reseed but that very light stocking - your 4 hebs - shouldn’t be so much of a problem with overseeding.  Pigs I would have thought was a no-no as they’ll dig, rootle, trample too deeply - and eat the seeds to boot.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Over-seeding
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:32:35 pm »
Personally I’d want the grass grazed as short as possible before you overseed or if you can, stitch the seed into the sward. You’ll get good seed to soil contact for a good start.
I’d keep the stock off until there is good growth and then lightly graze the area before the winter. It might be worth doing one paddock this year and the other next year either next Autumn or next spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS