Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie bantams won't go up ladder  (Read 2802 times)

wendyg

• Joined Sep 2018
Silkie bantams won't go up ladder
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:53:32 pm »
We bought 2 silkie bantams about 3 weeks ago, they're about 5 months old and they do not go up their ladder into their coop. So far, we have been picking them up and putting them inside every night, worried that they might be too cold if we left them downstairs in their run. We have still not seen them go up it.

We have never had chickens before so we are not sure whether to just leave them downstairs, shut in their run or whether we need to adapt the ladder in case they are unable to use it, perhaps they are too young, we are not sure. It is a coop designed for chickens.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Silkie bantams won't go up ladder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:57:36 pm »
Sorry you haven't had any responses, I've only just seen this.

I wonder whether the rung size and spacing is a bit large for these smaller birds?  Or maybe replace it with a ramp (with crosspieces to make treads) and see if they get the hang of that.  If so, you could try replacing the ramp with the rungs at a later date, once they have the habit and the desire, and then you'll see if it's usability that's the problem.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:45:28 pm »
As Sally says, I would try an adaptation to the ladder.
Is it a solid one as opposed to one with rungs?

I wouldn't leave them in the run. They need to learn to go in the coop for both warmth as Winter approaches and security from predators who are more likely to visit during the night.

Is it a new coop? They can be reluctant to go in the coop if there are red mite present. We know if red mite are present because the hens will try to roost in their run or elsewhere.

wendyg

• Joined Sep 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:00:19 pm »
Thank you both for your replies!
We have put the ladder on 2 bricks, with another brick in front, to make it less steep and create 2 steps. This seems to have done the job as a couple of days after posting my question, we saw them walk up for the first time! Hooray!
Beforehand, they would slide down the ladder, from rung to rung, so we were going to add more rungs, as you both suggested.
It is also a new coop so we have cleaned it out properly with mite spray as well.
Thanks for your help!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS