Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: declaring war on rabbits!! Any advice please?  (Read 12157 times)

hartstone

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Midlands
Re: declaring war on rabbits!! Any advice please?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »
A good whippet, a few ferrets and nets :farmer: Hit it hard and then fill the holes in.

Hardfeather

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:45 am »
One of the most efficient ways to kill rabbits is by using a box trap set into the ground on a fence. It has to be a netting fence and one through which the rabbits are already passing, though.

The box is set in a hole directly below the fence, and has a run through which the rabbits travel from one side of the fence to the other. The floor of the run can be fixed in place so that the rabbit pass unimpeded till they get used to it. Then, the floor of the run is unclipped which allows it to drop when a rabbit uses the route. The rabbits drop into the holding box and can be accessed for harvesting by simple removal of a lid.

A friend of mine installed several of these traps and killed hundreds of rabbits with them. They can be used or disabled according to the population/problem and, being galvanised metal, will last for a long time.

Google 'Rabbit box traps' and be amazed. :D

jonkil

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »
Used to take a dozen a night with snares, many more with a good light and a .22 magnum rifle.
Alas we have very little rabbits here now, pity as they are tasty little blighters.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »
if i had a bit more free time i would come down with a mate to shoot a few for you and id backfill any holes i found for you

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 10:38:09 am »
I can't abide shooting around the horses, and had a bunny and mouse problem - I now have 5 cats, no indoor mice and very very few adult bunnies ever seen due to the babies being decimated year on year, they just moved out or died of old age without replacement generations :)

The downside is the odd pile of bunny bits in the house, but I prefer that to feathers ::) and the only mouse problem is now in the walls/loft where insulation makes it unsafe to send the cats after them ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 12:05:16 am »
My horses are all perfectly used to the guns ... they won't even lift their heads from grazing! Saying that Bella normally stands watching the fireworks so intently she almost falls over backwards!!

I wouldn't allow anyone else to shoot our land but obviously trust my other half not to shoot in the same field, in their direction etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS