Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collecting up short-cut grass  (Read 1537 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Collecting up short-cut grass
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »
Re the subject, I'm thinking about the trackways and field margins where I flail the grass for no other reason than keeping it and weeds down.  (To note though, plenty of rough areas left after the flailing and I'm disappointed not seen any partridge this year yet.)

Leaving the cuttings lie where they fall merely re-enriches the soil and it would be better to remove the flailed cuttings and add them to a compost heap.  I'm then thinking some sort of cheap and cheerful tractor 3 point link mounted rake is required. Not a "tedder" type implement, but something akin to a "grass harrow", but which can deal with/collect-up short flailed cuttings.

Maybe a spring-tined grass harrow will do the job, but, before I invest, any suggestions please on best type of tractor mounted 3PL implement for raking up short-cut grass clippings?

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: Collecting up short-cut grass
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:43:45 am »
about the only thing i can think of to do thos job would be a old horse raik. thetes loads of them about that git on the back of a tractor snd cost scrap price

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Collecting up short-cut grass
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:27:05 am »
Had to look one of those up on the web, sotb.  Sort of matches what I had in my mind's eye - a single row of curved tines and, thinking about it, a towed rake (with liftable tines) probably no worse or better than a 3PL mounted rake.  However, the old horse rakes would have been designed for long-cut grass and I guess it will all come down to tine spacings, but I shall keep a look out as modifications might be possible.
Since then, repeated searches have come up with modern towable version from SCH Supplies Ltd - they say their newer 19 tine model can deal with finer cut grass (how fine is another matter).  However, I'm not about to enquire/dive-in at some £480 (cheapest) or some £530 direct from SCH. I think the flail cuttings will have to lie where they fall for now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS