Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding insurance?  (Read 2025 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Smallholding insurance?
« on: September 06, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »
Hi again,

Back for more advice on starting out. Sorry I didn't know where to post this question, it didn't seem to fit anywhere so popped it here!

I am hopefully purchasing a smallholding. When it finally happens I am not planning on having any animals aside from a few chickens to begin with. There are outbuildings, but initially I won't have any farm vehicles (and only planning on a quad and trailer so far anyway). There is a public footpath running on the property and I know I need some form of public liability to cover this.

I have looked at insurance and have seen something called Landowner's liability insurance, also Smallholding insurance. Does the liability for people working/walking/trespassing on your land form part of the smallholding insurance? And does smallholding insurance cover the place you live in as well? And what about contents of your domestic property?

I wondered if consensus was to get a smallholding insurance policy straight away? Or whether I could just have a standard home insurance (although I would still be in need of a liability insurance) until I get animals and vehicles? I'm guessing you can alter the policy as you go along to make sure it's relevant...

Can anyone say who they're insured with?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Smallholding insurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:48:13 pm »
Thank you.

I got a sample quote yesterday with my farm insurance, guesstimating the info. I tried including the actual buildings/contents insurance for the main residence but I think this was a lot more than if I did it separately. So much to look at!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
I agrees with Scarlet Dragon. I have always found that a phone call to the local NFU insurance office is helpful, friendly and informative.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 02:03:55 pm »
Also recommend NFU. Our situation is complex with House, Holiday let, outbuildings, stables, horses on diy rental, livestock and equipment and our NFU rep comes out and visits and has tweaked our insurance several times both for changing situations and to get it as cheap as possible. They’re very helpful and approachable. Give them a ring.

Koojie

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:22:57 pm »
We've been with NFU for years - even before we moved here and long before we had chickens.  They have been absolutely great.
You don't need to have a farm or holding to be insured with them by the way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS