Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fly strike  (Read 4514 times)

donna c

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: fly strike
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 01:58:41 pm »
Thank you so much everyone, farming has been a difficult, but rewarding, learning curve and Acci SH is my go to place whenever I feel overwhelmed x

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:35:22 am »
Fly strike has just taken one (found dead :bouquet: ) and I saved one  :excited: .  I used anti-inflammatory (injectable metacam) for the first time because he would not eat or drink (OMG its expensive :o ) and it helped. I've struggled in the past with scabs cracking and getting too itchy to heal and have had some success with udder cream.
Never ever give up.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »
I find any thick cream/grease helps to stop the skin cracking. I use vaseline and mix some louse powder in with it as it keeps the flies away as well, which always seem to swarm round.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 04:08:42 pm »
I am so annoyed with myself, noticed one of the lambs not happy yesterday, ran to his mum as I walked over, so i made a run into the field shelter with fencing, didnt want to leave it in case of strike, luckily they followed mum in, by then it was nearly midnight. Looked with torch, mucky bum, red raw patch but no sign of maggots, thought he'd rubbed it raw on stone wall trying to get muck buttons off, antiseptic spray wouldnt spray. Left the 2 lambs in field shelter, fed them in a hurry this morning, went down this afternoon to clip it clear, bl**dy things everywhere. Sprayed with weak jeyes and they were all dropping off., now trying to get hold of friend for something to put on.
He doesn't seem that bad in himself, should I or shouldnt I give AB?    - P&S or Tetroxy?

The field was topped (very short) earlier in year, grass has come back very lush, so wondering whether it's grass or worms making mucky bum. The 3 older girls look OK.
Really must learn to do FEC, I have a microscope,  but couldn't work out what I was seeing, nothing matched to pictures.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 05:54:17 pm »
We've recently had this discussion about whether to apply antibiotics to a fly strike wound and there are varying opinions.

I personally don't, and find they heal well on their own. I have read that maggots produce a substance that inhibits infection and I certainly find this to be the case. You may find it helps to put a soothing cream on (I use vaseline) to stop the surface of the wound cracking as it heals.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 06:25:21 pm »
Thanks, I will do that .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:30:44 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 11:26:13 am »
Friend came over yesterday, I thought I had trimmed the wool well away from infected area, but he took it further back and found 2 tiny areas with grubs, one less than a 5p piece. Luckily lamb seems bright and well enough, still eating. Both treated with Crovect.

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 10:09:49 am »
That’s the reason I switched to Clik this year. No spraying crovect every 6 weeks and worrying about when the 6th week is up  :relief:

I got caught out last year by leaving it until the 6th week and 2 of them had a horrendous time with flystrike.
This year I wasn't giving it a chance so i've put crovect on every 4 weeks and had no hassle at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS