Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat Welfare  (Read 2160 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
goat Welfare
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »
Hi all, Ive had 4 Yearling does for two months now, last keeper said they were wormed to date when i had them.  Can you tell me what i need to do now to continue, as what to use & how to. Also do i need to  administer anything for their coats, like parasite powder ? all advice appreciated

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: goat Welfare
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:56 pm »
I've not had goats, but I follow similar principles with sheep, cattle, hens, dogs.....

Anything parasite related, first monitor and check whether you actually have a problem. Routine dosing with wormers is causing massive problems with drug resistance - a bit like we have with antibiotics. http://www.scops.org.uk/about/what-is-anthelmintic-resistance/  might help with some background info.

For minor risks or occurrences of external parasites (I spot a flea, or something is scratching), I use diatom powder that kills insects in a physical (as opposed to chemical) way.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 08:20:55 pm »
And if all that sounds scary, don't worry. It does all need doing but not all the time. Hooves, for example, only need doing every month to six weeks. Are they on pasture or zero grazed. Mine are the latter and I've never wormed them in fifteen years until this year when they'd spent a week with friends of ours and had access to pasture. I used a pour on wormer that also will get rid of mites and fleas.

The most important thing to remember is to enjoy your goats. You've probably already discovered that they are great time wasters. Nip in the yard to check the hay and an hour later, I drag myself away from them.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
Thank you all, think il try the pour on wormer treatment just in case ,

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:31 am »
Thank you all, think il try the pour on wormer treatment just in case ,

Why? If they were wormed prior to coming to you and you haven't had goats or sheep on your land for at least a year or so (or never), then there should be no need to worm them. I would get a FEC done and take advice from the vet. Also, wormers are not cheap and come in huge quantities usually….

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:57:51 am »
I only worm my adult goats if I suspect they have worms. Its quite healthy and normal for them to carry some worms, but these aren't usually a problem unless the goats are stressed, or in kid etc. I only have adult goats these days and I don't think they've been wormed for 2yrs.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »
I don't wish to be rude but you have asked for advice, and as it happens you got several responses all saying much the same thing, that is look for evidence before using a chemical treatment. I.e. FEC for worms and physical evidence for lice etc.  And yet you say you will just go ahead and use a pour on wormer. Why?  I am not even sure what you mean by pour on wormer. The wormers are injectables or by mouth. Pour ons are for coat infestations.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:06 pm »
I am not even sure what you mean by pour on wormer. The wormers are injectables or by mouth. Pour ons are for coat infestations.

There's a newish one that is licenced for use on goats. I can't remember what it's called because a friend gave me a drop from the huge bottle she had to buy. I mentioned it to my vet and he knew it and said it was good.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:12 am »
Well I missed that one!  I am mightily impressed Boehringer Ingleheim have taken the trouble to include goats. It adds a fair amount of cost to the registration process and does not get the pay back that sheep or cattle does.  I wonder if it is community spirit or that they feel the registration will help break into a new market.

Either way, I agree with all the good advice above to check FEC rather than build resistance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS