Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Parallel universe  (Read 2898 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Parallel universe
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:49:42 am »
I can't sleep, so I went for a walk outside, I looked up at the clear sky the millions of stars. and wondered was I looking up at myself looking down at me,or indeed me looking down at me looking up form a parallel universe ?
Do you think there really maybe a mirror universe ?
I waved at me,just in case, so did the cat !

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Parallel universe
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:35:32 am »
Depends on which theory you prefer. A parallel universe isn't going to be looking back down at you... that'd have to be a mirror universe :) .  There area  lot of fictional suggestions and quite a few theoretical scientific suggestions ranging from bubble universes to multiverses. I quite like like the idea of a 'quantum multiverse' where all aspects are the tiniest quanta of all the options and our consciousness acknowledges a small subset of these which make up our own experience. That means that in some iterations of assembled quanta I'm having it rough but in at least one possible arrangement I'm somehow surrounded by attractive young naked ladies impressed by my huge penis and sexual prowess....... :excited:

There are some great scifi ideas.. from James Blish's 'Utopia' where anyone can ask to me mayor... the office comes with an irremoveable chain of office and there are voting booths everywhere. If the ayor upsets too many folk who vote against them then that chain explodes and another citizen is elected at random. Politicians there tend to be careful with their rules and laws. there are also no police on Utopia so folk make sure they make friedns with lots of people so if anyone harms you then your mates take their revenge.

There was another story about the world Jones made (can't remember title and author) where everything of existence was within the mind of Jones. Within this Jones is the only one who doesn't know he created it and when he starts to have self-doubt then the universe begins to shrink and disappear.
It's well worth a punt about the internet for the more scientific arguments about these if into sci-fi
Whatever way you argue that is different to the huge size of our known universe, the arguments for life elsewhere and the problems of travelling to other star systems. A neat argument to support faster than light travel i came across recently was a suggestion that mass is an interaction with subatomic particles and something akin to dark matter - the 'zero point energy' that residual vibrational energy at absoulte zero temp. The theory suggested that if one could harness that energy and use it then mass would reduce...and allow FTL because the faster you fly using that surrounding energy then the more you access and the less mass you have - which allows one to break Einstein's limit of C without breaking his formula.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:21 am »
Errr , OK I'll take that as a maybe then,
Still haven't slept, but the sun is shining

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:35:57 am »
The good news is that in 4.24 years (minimum) an alien looking at the earth through a huge telescope on his home planet will see you were waving....or your light may take 10,000 years to get to a sophisticated enough planet to have the technology to see you....

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:19:24 am »
Semaphore flags ordered  :innocent:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 11:20:58 am »
That means that in some iterations of assembled quanta I'm having it rough but in at least one possible arrangement I'm somehow surrounded by attractive young naked ladies impressed by my huge penis and sexual prowess....... :excited:

You mean that's NOT this world pgkevet?  I thought all the women were all enthralled by your tales and ready to bow down to kiss your feet!
That's in later stories (when I write them) but inevitably age takes it's toll........or was that an offer?? :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 12:09:32 pm »
To get back to the subject ...............................................

I believe that there are parallel universes, but as they are parallel you wouldn't see them in among the stars since they are alongside us  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 12:15:56 pm »
Na....I think you'd just been exposed to some grassy smoke.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 01:46:12 pm »
To get back to the subject ...............................................

I believe that there are parallel universes, but as they are parallel you wouldn't see them in among the stars since they are alongside us  :innocent:
Indeed... the usual description of pages ia book. You also have alternative universes (ack to subsets of a multiverse) and phase shifted universes (string theory allows for 11 if I recall correctly) and then there are mirror universes if you subscribe to the anti-universe theory.

As I understand it (poorly) current theory suggests the big bang created out of nothing a mix of matter and antimater but for some reason antimatter slowly changes to matter. And then somewhere in all that is dark matter.
Matter itself at the subatomic level seems to need an interaction between particles and the forces that act on them. Even more confusing is the argument about when a force is a wave and a wave is a particle and when and where attraction and repulsion happen.
More exciting perhaps because it's in the realm of being worked on is matter-antimatter propulsion. Apparently 150 grains of antimatter salt has the energy capacity of the total fuel used in a  saturn5 rocket and with the weight saving might even get one towards the nearest stars in a human lifetime.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »
WHOOSH ..........................................

What was that that just went over my head  :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 02:25:08 pm »
That means that in some iterations of assembled quanta I'm having it rough but in at least one possible arrangement I'm somehow surrounded by attractive young naked ladies impressed by my huge penis and sexual prowess....... :excited:

You mean that's NOT this world pgkevet?  I thought all the women were all enthralled by your tales and ready to bow down to kiss your feet!
That's in later stories (when I write them) but inevitably age takes it's toll........or was that an offer?? :)
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »

His feet ?  :-J  :innocent:

I’ll get me coat  :coat:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 04:50:18 pm »

Before I answer that is Mrs pgkevet following the thread???    :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :innocent: :eyelashes: :thinking: :thinking:
As it happens V's still away on grand-daughter sitting duties. Or at least that's what she told me. I know she isn't back yet 'cos the laundry basket is filling up.....
Like the old joke:Q. How do you know if your wife is dead?A. Sex is much the same but the washing piles up.
There's nothing a woman can do that a man can't do better... except for that one trap they lay for you when they move in.... soft furnishings and ornaments. I'm not shy enough to need curtains (that'd be the neighbour's problem if i had any neighbours) and what's with cushions? It's like dead cats lying all over the place....

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 07:53:04 pm »
My excuse for starting this is the bottle of mead I consumed in an attempt to "chill" however the cat made me do it .
I wonder if the other RTB has posted the same ?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
My excuse for starting this is the bottle of mead I consumed in an attempt to "chill" however the cat made me do it .
I wonder if the other RTB has posted the same ?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:22:25 pm by pgkevet »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS