Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy down in the dumps  (Read 2158 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Pygmy down in the dumps
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »
One of my 2 wethers is quite poorly- only in the last day or two. Not his bubbly self. Not eating or as far as I can tell drinking much either. Stands in the corner with head and tail down whereas his brother is bright alert with his tail up. This goat might have got into the hen pen and consumed some of their pellets- could this be the cause?
Most worryingly I've only had them about 3 months and they were quite wild- didn't like contact. Although they are slowing improving up to the last 2 days they still didn't like to be caught. Now this poor soul couldn't be bothered to get out of your way. I am very worried about him. I plan t ogo to the vet in the morning but any idea of whats wrong would help- if nothing else to look out for the other 3 if they start to get sick.

The two other AN wethers and the two pygmys are housed together and all other 3 are fine.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Pygmy down in the dumps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06:25 pm »
Has he got  a mucky backend/runny droppings? try and get him to drink, also some electrolyte (homemade version if nothing else). Stomach distended (= blown up)? Raised temperature? Pale eyes/membranes?

Don't give any concentrate, just good hay and water/electrolyte and get the vet to check him out asap. Can you put him in a separate pen, within sight/sound of the others? Keep him warm if he's shivering.

There is something about chicken feed - my lambs/ewes were going mad for it last year and broke down the netting fence ALL the time to get in.... fortunatley no consequences. My dog also tries to steal from it whenever possible.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »
Hi Declan - I have pygmy's too and all I can say is - if you see them 'not themselves' away from the herd, not eating - for me it's time to get help - we've never had anything serious but a tooth abscess for one and pink eye for another made them look really unhappy - I've now managed to set up a "quatentine pen"  but so the inmate can still see the  others, so if anyone got anything they don't spread it around - I would do everything Anke said in the hope of throwing some light on the matter - good luck hope all's well soon
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:28:56 pm »
Thanks folks.
After a trip to the vet it appears that the wee bugger has had a feed of payers pellets and his tummy is all messed up. I was given a powder to make into a drink that kickstarts the good bacteria in his rumen- and also an anti-biotic to give him a little protection when his immune system is getting up and going again.

Lesson learned- keep him awaay from the pellets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS