Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to have in the first aid kit...?  (Read 2833 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
What to have in the first aid kit...?
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:49:39 pm »
We have a pygmy goat who lives with our two pet male lambs.
I am just wondering what sort of things we should keep in the cupboard for 'maintenance' and first aid?!
Apart from hoof trimming shears, anti-bac foot spray, thermomenter....are there other things we should definitely keep to hand?
I will post this under the sheep section too!!
Oh...and we are using Vermx for the worming!
Many thanks!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: What to have in the first aid kit...?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:54:44 pm »
sachets of the electrolyte replacer for when they get scours (can't remember the name and its plum wine o clock here so figive typo's!!)  I wish we'd had some when one of ours got ill at night.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »
antiseptic spray - blue/purple stuff
anti-vac bottles (not just for kids - for the electrolyte stuff too)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:33:49 pm »
A couple of bandages or dressings with bandages attached. Useful if a) you cut their feet a little too much, and it bleeds a fair bit or b) they get an infected cut or wound.

Antibiotic wound powder for any cuts or scrapes, or for a wound that is bleeding a lot, cornflour (as you would buy in the supermarket for thickening).

We use Kaolin and Morphine for scouring (available from the chemists).
We keep a bottle of antibiotics, calcium and syringes and needles, but you may not need those.
Vaccine (Heptavac or Lambivac).
Treacle (for adding to warm water for them to drink, like the electrolyte replacer).

Can't think of anything else at the moment- will update!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:09 pm »
I keep a spare set of collars/leads for the goats and a rope for the sheep handy, just so that you can quickly get someone to hold them/tie them up. (I always have to scramble for a lead/headcollar otherwise, one set is kept permanently in the shed/sheep bucket.)

Terramycin spray for the sheep if they go lame/get scald. Still the most common cause (on my field) for a sheep to go lame.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:22 am »
Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies.  Most appreciated and now we know what we need to stock up on!  ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »
Spot on- or some kind of fly repellant. Goats are not as prone to bother from flies like sheep are, but best to be safe than sorry.

Beth

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:00 am »
How about hibiscrub, scissors or small shears for cutting small areas of fleece. Castor oil for udders, if they don't have a milk let down at birth.Rich tea biscuits if you need to distract another animal away from your patient.An unopened bottle of eye drops that are in date. Stock holmes tar is good for wounds and for preventing fly strike. Bicarb of soda to kick start the rumen, (i think thats what it is,need to check that one out sorry). Matches if you need to steralise anything. I think I am going to do a stock take of mine in readiness of the winter.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS