Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: one of my hens ate ...  (Read 4733 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
one of my hens ate ...
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:17:40 pm »
a mouse!

I did not want to believe my eyes, she gulped it down in a oner! The only other explanation could have been my eyesight and it was a gigantic slug but they do not have a tail or legs, do they  ;D I hope she's not getting indigestion... :chook: :&>

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: one of my hens ate ...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:20:09 pm »
a friend shot a rat he had been waiting for in the chook pen went in put gun away went back to get the rat and it was gone lol 10 chooks 1 rat = gone in seconds

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:03 pm »
Our hens have eaten mice, frogs, even sheep placentas  :yum:  The funniest are the muscovies who take ages to gulp down a placenta - you can pull it all back out again if you catch them in time.  So much for people who eat eggs and think their hens are vegetarian - opportunistic, more like.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »
chickens are cannibals they will eat/peck one of there own to death then consume it.

But I still love them.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »
we discovered a sea gull well the remains of one anyway under an old van. sparrows and starlings also need to watchout. they really are not cute veggie birds.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »
just not aloud to feed them meat though aint it?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »
I often find mashed starlings in my Turkey shed :D They dont learn!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
I knew they weren't vegetarians but would have expected one to rather peck at it  than swallow it whole ;D :&>

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »
Mine will eat slugs but prefer snails (saves me buying slug pellets!) and I have seen them chase a frog down the garden. 

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:32 pm »
I once caught my 4 buff-o's with a toad - one at each legg - pulling - toads are VERY Streeeeetchy!  :P

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:45:12 pm »
i hate frogs  so i love chooks

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »
I had a light sussex that had a mouse - it took her ages to eat it as she was running away from all the other hens trying to get it off her!
Karen

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 07:10:38 am »
Chicken taste buds  :o blurg!! Just think of all the nice things we make for them as a bit of a treat and then you go out and find them playing streatch the toad, or toss the vole.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:01 am »
I am not very fond of my hens this morning  >:(  When I let them out there was a sudden huge kerfuffle from the compost heap - squawks and screeches and wing flapping.  I thought the two hens which together have a brood of 5 halfgrown chicks, were having a huge disagreement, but when I went to part them I found there was something else under them - our special needs blackbird, who has one eye and a damaged wing and spends his time inoffensively stealing the fruit from my fruit cage, and the occasional bit of hen grain.  They were attacking him and definitely trying to kill him.  Poor little chap is bleeding and shocked.  I am now wondering if the reason for his original injuries was a hen attack too - we had always assumed he had escaped a Sparrow Hawk attack.  They were probably acting together to protect their chicks, but the blackbird is absolutely no threat, just an easy target  :( 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 10:43:10 am »
they are quite mean, these birds. Yesterday top hen (the one who cought the mouse) went up to the eglu run with the new mother and chicks and started a fight through the wire! The adults are also giving the youngster a hard time, so much that she doens't want to go to bed! The kindest seems to be the boy! ::) :chook: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS