Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to make a VERY cheap log store?  (Read 8701 times)

Sandy

How to make a VERY cheap log store?
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:53 pm »
Hi all you make do and menders...we are going to make a log store as we want our current shed where we keep a lot of logs, returned to a shed. I thought about a basic frame with posts and some stron sides such as wood or zinc then a plastic roof as we have a nice 7ft wall to back it onto....Ideas PLEASE!!!!!!!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: How to make a VERY cheap log store?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »
hello Sandy ,
                not sure of position or size wanted but here is an idea.
 make the front higher than the tallest person likely to get logs from the store .., nothing worse than cracking open your head whilst collecting logs in the dark. The back only needs to be say 6" higher than the front to allow good rain/snow fall.
The corner posts can be just logs or fence posts dependent on what you have . Knock them in the ground if you want it permanent .Good solid 3"-6" ones work best , they are sturdy , last a long time and don't fall apart the first year.
Why use plastic for the roof ? if you have it there already fine , but otherwise I would go for corrugated iron or even timber planks.  Sides only need to be slats really , that way it allows plenty of air in to season the wood and to help prevent mould.
If the wall you are using as the back , is your house wall , make sure you don't bypass the damp course .
An area/store 8 feet x 6 feet x 4 feet will hold a chord and a half of wood . 

cheers

Russ

Sandy

Re: How to make a VERY cheap log store?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:43 pm »
Wow thanks russ, thats about what I thought...we have loads of logs as we have 2 very large open fires that we use when our heating is not enough....We currently have them in a brilliant log lean too but are going to build an extension so the lean to will become a shed for bikes.
I wondered about the garden wall as I think it is double skinned, meaning it's our garden wall and the neighbours house is built next to it..not oo sure~~~~~~~## I want corregated zinc too, shall take a look at where to get some from but we can put a plastic corrigated roog and/or tarpauline on the top as we have a lot of plastic available and that part of our garden has min exposure to the rain, our chickens always have some dry space and always a nice dust bath there due to the horrid but necessary, BIG conifers...THANKS

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS