Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Belcoo  (Read 4156 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Hello from Belcoo
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:35:59 pm »
Hello,

Just joined the forums. My name is Gavin Goodman. My wife, Fidelma, and I rear Tamworth pigs (we have the largest pedigree herd in N.I.), together with a few Oxford Sandys, Soays, Saanen cross goats, a Jacob, ducks, geese, chickens & Turkeys (bit of a zoo really). To try to get the farm to pay for itself we operate a small farm shop selling the various meats from our animals.
Belcoo is a small village close to the border with the Republic of Ireland, about 12 miles from Enniskillen.

We originally came over from Selsdon in South Croydon in 1998.

Regards

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Belcoo
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:22:24 pm »
Hello and welcome.

I knew I'd find your "introduction" bit eventually!

How many sows do you have? Sounds like a real menagerie!

Hope you enjoy the forums.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »
hey and welcome  ;D

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:25:40 pm »
Hi and welcome from someone else who breeds Pedigree Tamworths and I have to say the mums are fantastic, dad very laid back and the babies after feeding do what they want!!!!!!!!!!!!
What bloodlines are they as we are looking to AI our Roseleaf sow with something not known here in France.

Looking forward to hearing your views on the topics

Carole

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:40 pm »
Carole,

We have Jasper & Ranger boars and Ruby, Rita and Lucky Lass sows.

Cheers

Gavin

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »
Hi Gavo
Hello & Welcome
I'm looking forward to the arrival of our new sow who should arrive in pig shortly, we already have 2 Gloucesters 1 for breeding & 1 for Sshh 'The table' Also we are expecting the arrival of our new female Mangalitza piglet.  I couldn't be without pigs in my life now - if my city chums could see me now  ;D
Look forward to hearing your news & views on the forum
Regards Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:15:16 pm »
Hi
Jasper bloodline is quite frequent here in Brittany but oh if your Ranger could visit a mint could be made. I am looking to AI with Royal standard or Ranger next time with one of my Roseleafs called Pumpkin, she is devine but wants everyones babies.
Is your boar reg with BPA  all my Tamworths are so maybe we could arrange Pumpkin a visit to UK?????????????

Any way good luck, and let us all know how your pigs and life is doing

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:10:31 pm »
Wow. That sounds complicated!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:52 pm »
Carole,

Our Ranger's other name is Elgany Ranger 105. Our HDL is GGS. Your girl is welcome to pay a visit (although it'll be a bit of a hike from Fermanagh to Brittany). If you want Royal Standard AI then you're in luck as this is with Deerpark Pigs (as in Robt Overend), they may even have some Ranger as our chaps brother (we imported the Ranger bloodline into N.I. in 2006) did pay a visit to Robert's place for a while recently.

Cheers

Gavin

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »
Thanks Gavin,
Yes have been in contact now with Deerpark and will being doing the deed after this season as I need to double check her dates etc.
My HDL is jzc, not only do we have Tamworths but also a registered Gossie male. Will be adding to my numbers shortly when the new batch of Mangalitzas arrive from Austria.

Thanks
Carole

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:11 am »
Hi Gavo
Nice to have you on board. We like pigs especially Pietrains or as they have been called 'ugly ones'  :D :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS