Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 2019 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
How old?
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:55:18 am »
I have 3 chicks that are now 4 weeks old. They are outside all day in their run but come in at night. I let them run around from time to time with the adult hens while I supervise and never have any problems. One of the chicks is a cockerel. When will it be safe for me to let them run full time with the others and sleep in the same coop as them? Thanks.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
When we had poultry we let them all run together all the time after they had hatched.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »
I let the ducklings do that first time - we lost 2 to a sparrowhawk, so nature's way was not that kind to them...I would keep them in a few more weeks, James, go by size, James! :&>

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:36:05 pm »
we are currently in the same position with alot of young ones around the place!!!
i think its best probualy best to wait till they are bigger.
Langdon ;)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 09:10:47 pm »
Rodney and his hareem went out in the guinea pig run from about 1 1/2 weeks and then progressed to running full time with the big birds from about 4 1/2 weeks (once tweedle dee and Tweedle Dum - not sure on sexes so haven't properly named them yet - went into the guinea run).  They've progressed up into the big girl coup last night but with all of the other girls in the main coup.  The big girls like to still have a dig at them now and again though.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:33:58 am »
Hello Captain I am sure that that is where the PECKIN ORDER comes from any thing new enters and they have to be shewn their place in the fold/run  :D They will be alright don't worry to much or you will make the job worse.You do on the odd time get one that they all attack which you will have to remove from the main flock. Fatten it up and eat it it will never do any good with the others.I know its a cruel world out there It's to much time bother to look after one on it's own :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS