Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from a new inhabitant of Clackmannan  (Read 3551 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Hi from a new inhabitant of Clackmannan
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:40 pm »
Hi Everyone
I have recently moved here with a few of my animals - I rehomed a number of chickens, rabbits and some ducks before I came down.  I now only have three khaki campbell females, 2 cats and 4 dogs adn seem to have all my new neighbours clamouring for duck eggs.  I think I'll have to get more but don't know where to fiind them - any ideas. I'm hoping to rescue some battery hens when they are culled in September.
I Judge, show, work, and breed Brittanys, a French gundog, and also have a German Wirehair who keeps us all safe with her very loud barking.  ;) ::)
Doganjo (combunation od Dog, half of Anne, and half of John)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi from a new inhabitant of Clackmannan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:32:05 pm »
So, the dog gets more letters in the name than the two humans. Hmm! is that a clue to priorities?!

Where about in God's country are you?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »
Yes, dogs rule - OK?  Well, maybe the occasional challenge from a duck! or a cat!  or a hen when I can get some.  The Jo part deceased some years ago but the name stuck.  Pilmuir.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Micah68

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:23:41 am »
Danjo, I grew up on a small holding and we used to either get ducks from other small holders or from the local mart. I don't know if Stirling have a poultry auctions - it may be worth phoning and asking.
hello from Tillicoultry!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:42 am »
There was poultry sale at Caledonian Mart in Stirling on 26th July. I'm sure they will start having them regularly. Lawrie and Symington at Lanark Mart have a poultry sale on 7th August and a rare breeds sale including poultry on 13th August; Longtown Mart in D&G have a poultry sale (rare and traditional breeds) on 9th August; Borderway Mart, Carlisle - Rare and Traditional Breeds including poultry on 13th September.

I think there is a Rare breeds sale at Aberdeen and Northern Mart on 6th September ar the Thainstone Centre.

Hope this helps

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:53 am »
Welcome from me too

Carole

sandy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Hello, we have only been in Clackmannan a year and a half and I have just got some point of Lay hens, they haven't laid as yet and they are escapeing into my garden all the time. We have 2 dogs and love all the walks in the area. Next year we will breed from our Black Labradour but at the moment she is very distructive even though she is with me most of the day as I work from home, with her and the hens we are spending loads on repairs and re inforcements, but they are fun...and they do add something to your life. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »
Hi Sandy
Are you in Clackmannan itself - if so perhaps we may have met - I see many labs walking up in the barley fields near Kennet and down by my house, near the bypass. I have a litter of pups due in a few days but I have to keep my four dogs well away from the ducks and chickens.  They are living quite happily together and the ducks love the burn running through the garden, but the pullets aren't getting out yet just in case they don't remember where their hut is.
Annie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS