Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm on the wrong continent :)  (Read 2349 times)

racheLeah

• Joined Jul 2008
I'm on the wrong continent :)
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:07:31 pm »
Hello - My name is Rachel - I am the  manager of a summer camp/community farm in North Carolina, USA. We have pigs (tamworths), Alpine goats, a large garden, and chickens are coming soon.  Our goal is to supply the the majoirity of the food for the camp and to provide a source of local food to our community.  We also want to educate the kids at camp about where their food comes from - factory farming is a huge problem over here and the vast majority of the kids don't know a thing about it!
It is a brand-new venture so I have lots and lots of questions!  (Did I mention that I have no farming experience??)

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully - down the road when I get a better idea of what I am doing - offering some helpful advice myself.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: I'm on the wrong continent :)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
Hi, Rachel - huge welcome form thsi side of the pond.

What you're doing seems like a great idea - best wishes form us and we'll look froward to following your progress.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:46 am »
hey from me too... sounds like a brilliant idea, do let us know how you get on!  ;D

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:12:24 pm »
Welcome - a brave and worthwhile venture - you will get lots of good advice here!!  :D
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS