Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 2222 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
What is this?
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »
Sorry cannot do photo but springing up under quite a few hedges is an odd (for us) plant. It stands about 6 inches tall and the top is a collection of bead like berries, starting off green and turning orange then bright red. Is this something that is poisonous to hens, dogs or anything else?
Should I remove it or celebrate it?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:50 pm »

arum maculatum - poisonous

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:37:19 pm »
Remove it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:52:04 am »
It looks like "Lords and Ladies" or Wild Arum. Yes, poisonous but dogs and livestock are unlikely to eat it, small children are!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:56:53 am by devonlady »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
Thanks for this i removed a load out of my ditches and under gorse at home. I think the red, bright colours usually do, indicate its poisonous to animals in the wild. Similar to the highly bright fungii in many ways. Does this mean that a lot of things brightly coloured in the wild are poisonous too, as I understand the brightness means danger, however the colours are very attractive and appealing to the human eye  :D sorry for the lecture and thanks for this at least now I know what it is.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:15:12 pm »
.....as I understand the brightness means danger, however the colours are very attractive and appealing to the human eye.....

Never eat (my) strawberries, raspberries, redcurrants, cherries, plums, red apples etc....
Lots of poisonous stuff.. in varying degree. One of the worst is lilly of the valley - not that it looks edible. Cherry laurel is a classic (cyanide?) as are yew berries (taxins). Poisos may also be benficial if used correctly.. the obvious examples being opium=> morphine and foxgloves for heart drugs. Perriwinkle is another good one .. contains alkaloids for vincristine and vinblastine... both anticancer drugs.
You can find lists of the more common poisonous plants via google

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:01:38 pm »
Thank you. That is exactly it. Pulling it up immediately.
Greg

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:23:24 pm »
I wouldn't panic, lots of common plants are poisonous and not many people come to harm

http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/arum_maculatum.htm

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:46 am »
And they are so lovely, both "in the green" and the berries. I don't know for sure but I dare say something relies on them for food.
Just watch toddlers! I remember a two year old Raven assuring me "No, they're not poison, dear"

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »
With holiday makers (with children) using the grounds I feel removal is best!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 07:14:55 pm »
Ah, right. Very wise!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »
But I agree it is (was) beautiful

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS