Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too late to castrate?  (Read 3630 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Too late to castrate?
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:25 am »
Lambing is over and of our 4 lambs only one is a ram lamb  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:.

The one ram lamb is a week old today. I think we should have done it by now.  Is it too late to castrate with a rubber band.

BTW they are shetlands.

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Too late to castrate?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
If they're big enough to do today, do them.  The code is within 7 days.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:45 am »
Thank you SallyintNorth.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:57:49 pm »
I watched the vids on you tube and read lots on the tinterweb in preparation for this and I'm glad I did because there was no way the second testicle would drop into the scrotum.  I could get 1 in there but the other was firmly stuck in the abdomen right next to the false teat.

What do I do now? 
* Wait a few days for it to drop: by which time I will be outside the prescribed 7 days
* wait for a few months and do him with the pliers
* rear him as a tup and sell he to someone who wants a pedigree shetland before he becomes a problem for us?   

We can't keep him long as a ram because we only have one and no other field to put him in.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »
They are easy enough to pop back down. Simply push your fingers above them whilst holding the lamb up by his front legs. As they drop back down close the ringers and double check before releasing.

Hmm....just read that back...not sure explaining in words is my thing!

Just have a try without the ring first
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:11:29 am by Sbom »

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:35 pm »
We have found the piece of string first method (described elsewhere on this forum) works really well. 

Also pushing firmly upwards in the abdomen helps pop them down. Which is what Sbom was saying.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:30 pm »
If one of the testicles has not dropped (happened to me last year - several tup lambs all by same sire), there is little you can do now...

However the vet can always do a surgical castration later.

I left my boys intact, separated form the ewes in good time and then one of them jumped the fence in November... 5 happy lambs now bouncing about... and yes the second testicle l is now well dropped... they will go away this summer.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 10:18:38 pm »
Do you send them off for meat at that age Anke?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:34:00 pm »
Do you send them off for meat at that age Anke?

Yes. Didn't register him (or his half-brothers) anyway, as this maybe an inherited fault. They will go after clipping.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:43 pm »
Farmer next door was banding his lambs today - must have been 4 weeks old!!  Not saying its ok but happens regularly.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS