Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clipping wings  (Read 2336 times)

ColumP

• Joined Dec 2015
Clipping wings
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:03 pm »
Hello.

My cockerel has started to escape from my orchard, so after watching a few You Tube videos I clipped his left wings as described in the films. But he is still able to fly over the fence! Has anyone else had this happen? I cut the primary flight feathers o his left wing right up to where they overlap with the next layer of wings. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Many thanks,

Colum

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: Clipping wings
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:32:33 pm »
I had a hen that flew over a 6ft fence, clipped one wing, made no difference so clipped them both. that stopped her and now she has grown feathers back she cant be bothered to fly.  only clipped both wings in desperation as it was not safe for her over the fence.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:39:53 pm »
There are YouTube videos and there are YouTube videos...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ColumP

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:18:19 am »
Thanks I will try clipping both wings. I have read quite a few websites now and read a book, there does seem to be disagreement on whether to do one wing or them both. I had read that if you do both wings then they can balance and are able to fly with both wings shorter. They say it's the imbalance of the two wings that stops them being able to fly.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:34 am »
Yep had a hen that kept flying out over rentafence  >:(  clipped 1 wing right back and she still kept flying out. All well and good when I was around to put her back on the right side of the fence but not seen her for a few days now so expect her escaping antics have got the better of her  :(

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 08:05:45 am »
if clipping one wing has not worked you cant lose by clipping both, as for imbalance, works for some but not others, works for ducks though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS