Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on triplets  (Read 1440 times)

sadlerlou

• Joined Mar 2016
Advice on triplets
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:15 am »
Good Morning All!

I am hoping you can offer me some advice on triplets! First ewe lambed triplets Tuesday night - all up and well and despite my concern they are all feeding and mom can count to three  ;). I was worried about them all not having enough milk so have been trying to offer a little top up to the smallest but she isn't keen on the bottle! I have tried the other lambs and they are also not keen (moms udder is much more appealing to all!). All appear to have full tums and are active, should i keep just offering a top up twice per day despite their reluctance?

I had another ewe lamb triplets last night and the same applies - all up and well and mom is attentive to all. They are  3 year old Jacobs and this is their second lambing (and mine!). Both moms appear to have lots of milk, i just want to do best for ewes and lambs and help as much as i can without having to take one off if possible!

Thanks in advance

Louise

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice on triplets
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:44:41 pm »
If you've good grass and the ewes have plenty of condition on them, and you want them to try to rear all three, then I'd give the ewes cake - 18%, a good feed every day. 

If, as they grow and demand more, the lambs seem hungry, just take one off, full stop.  It'll take to the bottle when it's the only game in town! 

If the lambs seem other than replete, don't leave them on to 'see how they do' - next thing will be ewe with mastitis, and you're bottle-feeding all three (that's if you don't lose one, or them all. And maybe the ewe's udder, and/or her, too.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sadlerlou

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »
Thanks for that! SallyintNorth! I have got plenty of grass and both ewes are in good condition. I am keeping a close eye on them all but will as you say pull one off if necessary. Ewes are already on cake so hopefully it will all help! I was fortunate to have a single and triplet lamb at the same time last year so an easy foster! They had different ideas about timing this year  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS