Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disappointing Eggs  (Read 4153 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Disappointing
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:30 pm »
I would love to keep hens again. I do buy free range eggs from a local shop which I think are a little fresher that supermarket ones but I miss the really fresh ones.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:36 am »
I have a small unused eglu sitting in the shed but am living at home and parents are not on board for chooks :(
That makes buying shop eggs doubly annoying since for the cost of 2 layers and a bag of food we could be good to go!!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:37 pm »
I have a small unused eglu sitting in the shed but am living at home and parents are not on board for chooks :(
That makes buying shop eggs doubly annoying since for the cost of 2 layers and a bag of food we could be good to go!!
Why not point out to them the benefits of keeping chickens for eggs, how better the eggs are for you being rich in vitamins and minerals. You knowing what the hens are fed, whereas commercial hens are probably fed on gm stuff with crap ingredients, containing very little health benefits and probably a higher chance of salmonella along the way too. The cost isn't very high and with eggs almost all year round it well makes up the cost. Plus you can feed them the insides of pumpkins and squashes they love best, that helps the vitamin count in their eggs and keeps them healthy too. Much cheaper than buying shop bought unhealthy looking eggs with weak shells. Not forgetting they're a joy to keep too. Point out all the positives and hope they change their minds :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
Re: Disappointing Eggs
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »
I told my neighbour I was getting some crooks thinking she would go off her head, but to my surprise she loved the idea.  She may be going deaf but I'm sure she would still hear them, if my last lot are anything to go by lol.   Shame my other very very nosey neighbours wouldn't be on board   :rant: :rant: So still no crooks for me at the mo..

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 12:41:52 pm »
You could always bribe them with eggs quirkygirl :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »
Definitely won't buy eggs from the supermarkets here. Recently a new brand was launched claiming to be 'antibiotic free'. Does that mean all the others use antibiotics in the feed routinely??

We have hatched this year and intend to do so every year to ensure we get at least a few eggs over Winter from the pullets. We have 4 of 5 Leghorn Bantams laying- the other has decided to moult?!? Baking at this time is done with eggs frozen in Summer.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:07:14 pm »
Why not point out to them the benefits of keeping chickens for eggs

Been there. Its because we've had chooks before they won't bend! Last time we had neighbours who didn't like the noise so although we have new neighbours we can't get more chooks :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS