Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland ducks  (Read 5366 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Shetland ducks
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:24:07 pm »
I was just wondering if any one keeps Shetland ducks I am thinking of forming a club and want to see if anyone would be interested. My aim would be to put owners in contact with each other and the general public to promote this delightful breed of duck. It would be my hope to get the breed standardized by the Poultry Club of Great Britain but will have to see if there is any interest. I have made contact with poultry club to find out if and how to get them standardized and it would take a bit of time and effort and the participation of a few owners. I have also had a word with a RBST representative and the comments were very positive so let's see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:27:48 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Shetland ducks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:08 pm »
I have six from Moira, we think they are all girls.  I'd be interested in helping form a club if there isn't one already.

Just had a Google - can't see one - this is the description on wiki -
"The Shetland duck is a small, hardy breed of domestic duck originating in the islands. It is similar to Pomeranian duck or Swedish Blue duck. It is black with a white bib. Shetland drakes have sky blue bills and Shetland duck females have slate blue bills. The average weight of the Shetland duck is 2 kg for males and 1,8 kg for females. It is critically endangered."

Slightly different from the Britannic Rare Breeds site -
"The Shetland is probably the rarest of all native duck breeds.  The majority of today’s specimens originate from the crofts of Tronda where keen hobbyist have gathered together the remaining specimens of the breed and bred them to ensure their survival. Mrs Mary Isbister is one of the leading breeders that ensured their survival since the early1990’s. The ancestors of the Shetland are likely to have been imported to the islands by the Vikings although this is not proven. In any case it is very probable that the Shetland is descended from Scandinavian ducks as the Swedish Duck is similar in appearance with a blue body and a white bib. The Shetland duck would have supplemented its diet in the past by foraging on the poor marshy grazing of the Shetland Islands and would have been helpful in consuming the hosts of parasites like the Liver fluke which could otherwise cause problems for grazing livestock.

Description
The Shetland is the third smallest native breed of duck and stands semi erect with a lively carriage and very energetic foraging habit..

Both drakes and ducks are glossy black with a white bib.

Uses:   Eggs, conservation grazing, agroforestry.
Origin:   Shetland Isles, Scotland
Class:   Light-weight
Colour:   Glossy Black with a white bib. The bib is often irregular and sometimes patchy from just below the lower mandible down to the keel.
Eggs:   White
Weight, drake:   1.6 kg
Weight, duck:   1.4 kg"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:32:00 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
Ok thanks it early days but I will put you in as an interested party and we will see if they is going to be much interest. I have contact numbers for 4 other owners so will try contacting them. Cheers for now.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:33:00 am »
 :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Shortymcvicar

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:09:51 pm »
Hi, I have just successfully hatched 6 Shetland ducks two weeks ago, they are coming on great and quite big already. I would be interested in joining the club is you have it going? I found out after buying the eggs on ebay as a bit of a blind purchase that they are critically endangered, I would be keen to network with other smallholders to help this breed.
Ange

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 09:59:02 pm »
Hi a wee update after e mailing several people I'm afraid the response was obismal so instead of a club I think a Facebook page might be a way to start. I am in a couple for Scots dumpys and Scots grey's and they are very successful so will set it up over the next week or so,

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:43 pm »
Maybe there's not an awful lot of owners if it's a vulnerable species?  To be honest I'm pretty sure all of mine are girls so I can't see me breeding any, but who knows  :eyelashes:.

Facebook is fine for me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 10:41:11 pm »
Great that's it up and running as Shetland Ducks on Facebook.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS